Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > Train Travel: Booking Train Tickets for a Family of Five
Notices

Train Travel: Booking Train Tickets for a Family of Five

Sep 5th, 2015, 10:55 PM
TST
Original Poster

Train Travel: Booking Train Tickets for a Family of Five

I am booking tickets for the "Canadian" train from Vancouver to Toronto with VIA Rail Canada, and I have a family of 5, two teenagers and an eleven year old, how can I book two cabin for 2s, and one cabin for 1? When I try to book for 5 people, the only option is getting 3 cabins for 2, 5 cabins for 1, or berths, which I don't want... Thanks!
Sep 6th, 2015, 03:32 AM

Nice trip! To get the accommodation you want, try calling Via rail. You might want to rethink the berth accommodation also. During the day the beds are made up into two seats facing each other which means you can sit together. In the compartments, there are only two chairs , and they may be facing toward the back of the train. In the compartments you are in your own little enclosed world. (Although there is the dome car, of course.) We’ve done the berths once on that route and they worked just fine. It was pleasant during the day to chat now and then with the passengers across the aisle. This summer we did TO to Winnipeg in a compartment which was handy for the bathroom during the night, but cramped and not ideal during the day. And of course the compartments have an upper and lower berth so someone has to climb the ladder anyway.

Regardless of how do do it, I expect it will a wonderful time. When are you going?
Sep 6th, 2015, 11:29 AM
TST
Original Poster

Some time around mid-february...
Sep 7th, 2015, 02:47 AM

When we we enroute to Winnipeg in August, one of the crew members talked about how lovely it was in wintertime. Something to add to my bucket list. I know you can often get good last minute (Escape) fares then.

Search this Thread