train travel across Canada

Dec 19th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

train travel across Canada

My wife and I have traveled Amtrak in the States, and I have always wanted to take a trans-Canada train trip on Viarail. I checked on the schedule and price from Toronto to Vancouver and was astonished to find the one way fare for two for a first class cabin was $3500. I checked with Viarail and they confirmed this. Other than sitting up on coach for three days and nights[$750], any suggestions on how to make the trip by train for a more reasonable price?
Dec 19th, 2004, 10:12 AM

It seems high indeed. When do you plan to travel? A quick look on the Via site shows a double berth at about C$1700 for two persons one way, while a double bedroom is just over C$2300. Coach is under C$500. Were you trying to book a suite (2 double bedrooms)? There are many discounts available depending when you plan to travel, including 2 for 1 if you are over 60.
Dec 21st, 2004, 05:59 AM

If you do decide to do this trip, I suggest that rather than taking "the Canadian" (the transcontinental train) all the way to Vancouver, get off the train at Jasper, rent a car and explore the Canadian Rockies for a few days before taking the "Rocky Mountaineer" excursion train the rest of the way from the Rockies to Vancouver. The reason is that "the Canadian" passes through much of the beautiful Cascade range at night whereas the "Rocky Mountaineer" only travels by day so you'll see more of the scenery. Be aware that both are expensive though.

Ken

Search this Thread