Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Tour Companies to Victoria and Whistler (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/tour-companies-to-victoria-and-whistler-513216/)

sabrina_lane03 Mar 16th, 2005 06:23 PM

Tour Companies to Victoria and Whistler

I won't have a car while in Vancouver so I am considering using various tour companies to take side trips from Vancouver to Whistler and Victoria. The ones that I have heard of are Greyhound, West Coast City and Nature Signtseeing, Stay and Tour Canada, and Vancouver Tours. Has anyone every heard anything about any of these companies or know of a better company to consider?

None seem to allow enough time in the cities because of the travel time required to get to and from Victoria and Whistler but which one is the best? I have heard that it is possible with grayline to not go on a tour and instead use the company just for transportation to Whistler. The cost is a little under 40 canadian. Is this a good price?

klam_chowder Mar 17th, 2005 02:34 AM

Not sure about the tour companies you mentioned, but if you want to make your travel to Whistler a highlight (as opposed to just "getting there"), try taking the train up to Whistler...it's a fun, relaxing, and panoramic ride. They offered it for years; I'd imagine they still do it.

j_elzie Mar 17th, 2005 06:20 AM

Hi,

I've been visiting Whistler for more than 20 years and I would recommend using the Perimeter motorcoach service. They leave from the airport in Vancouver, as well as several downtown hotels, such as the Pan Pacific or the Hotel Vancouver. My clients have never had any complaints about their service. It is the official transportation service to Whistler. Whistler has a good paved walking and bike path that I like to use, and they also have a "city" bus, too. The main part of the village is easy walking with mostly pedestrian zones and nice sidewalks on streets.

For Victoria, try Island Coach Lines or Pacific Coach Lines. They offer transportation-only options on motorcoaches. This service has been available for as long as I can remember and is great way to do Victoria without the tour component. You can easily get around the main tourist area of Victoria by foot, around the Inner Harbour and up Government Street. But, some of the other must-sees, such as Butchart Gardens will require a rental car for a day, or picking up a day tour.

Best Regards,
Julia

Sam_Salmon Mar 17th, 2005 06:26 AM

No train to Whistler until next year sometime.:(

Since I live here I have never taken a tour so I can't help with that-Sorry.
I did overhear one of the driver/guides with Vancouver Tours on the Ferry to Victoria last year-he was an odd coarse individual totally unsuited to his job.

Whistler is a tiny place and there's no need for a <i>hand holder</i>.
Sit on the driver's side of the bus on the way up if you can.

sabrina_lane03 Mar 17th, 2005 01:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. Since the weather will not be ideal for skiing when I get to Whistler, what other activities should I do? I am thinking about a ziptrek ride and the dog sledding. It seems like April will be too warm for good skiing weather but not warm enough for other activities.