Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto - Westin Prince, Delta Chelsea or Delta Meadowvale?????

Jul 10th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Toronto for 3 nights with our kids (12 & 9). I have narrowed our hotel search down to these 3 hotels. I would appreciate any input on the best deal. My kids would appreciate any input on a nice pool!

Westin Prince $358 + tax for a superior room for 3 nights (there is a special buy 2 nights get the 3rd free)

Delta Chelsea $229/night for an upgraded room. This is a no-tax package that includes parking (a $25 value), a $25 food credit per night, and no additional taxes. So, it would be a little under $700 here.

Delta Meadowvale $148 for Th/$100 for Fri and Sat (plus tax). Or a rate with breakfast and parking (an $8 value here) of $205 for Th/$145 for Fri and Sat (plus tax). This hotel has a brand new waterslide opening on Friday.

Please let me know if you have stayed at one of these properties and any other recommendations that you have.

Thanks!!!!

Jul 10th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Also........

Does anyone know how reliable hotwire.com is? I can book a 4-star downtown hotel for $112/night. I am just a little nervous as I won't know what hotel it is until after I pay.
Jul 11th, 2006, 03:09 AM
BAK

The Prince is in Don Mills, surrounded by houses, apartment buildings, offices and factories. You need to get in a car to get anywhere at all.

Same, or worse, for Meadowvale. It's a business hotel serving northern Mississauga. Nice hotel, but nowhere.

Leaving the Delta Chelsea, in the heart of the city, with the best kids program of any Toronto hotel, close to all kinds of intereting things to walk to.

Delta Chelsea is the hands-down winner in this threesome.

BAK
Jul 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM

No contest. The Delta Chelsea wins hands down.
Jul 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM

I have not stayed at the Westin or Delta Meadowvale, so can't comment on them. However, I can't stand the Delta Chelsea. It is a very large hotel, and you will spend half your time there waiting for elevators. Some of the rooms have been renovated, and they are fine. The older ones are nasty. And the "wonderful" pool/waterslide was lame even for my 7 & 9 year old. Maybe there is another option?
Jul 14th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Poutine: what did you think of the area around the hotel? Yonge Street is so horrible there I don't recommend the place either.

There's the Admiral on Queen's Quay - also with a pool; good transit via streetcar to the Union Station subway stop or the other direction to Chinatown. http://www.radisson.com/torontoca_admiral but I'd call and make sure the pool renovations are complete.
Jul 16th, 2006, 10:24 AM

We are in similar situation...three nights with 3 kids ages 13, 12, 7. Have narrowed it down to Radisson Admiral, Sheraton City Centre or Delta Chelsea. I don't like high-rises. We want to be near to public transport since our kids have different interests, and we may need to split up. The Radisson looks like its near enough to the lake to make the Harborfront walkable, as well as the Blue Jays. Is this a good location?
Jul 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM
BAK

Jgsbro:

The Raddison is in Harbourfront.

Pool is onm a rooftop, overlloking the harbour police station and the water.

There's a streetcar track out front, and it leads to two subway stations, one at Union Station and the other up through Chinatown, at Bloor and Spadina.

Not as convenient as it sounds, but on the other hand,you are at harbourfront, and ten minutes walk from the CN Tower and Rogers Centre (baseball park, used to be SkyDome)

Chelsea is two blocks from a Subway Station; Sheraton is one or two blocks from two subway stations.

Sheraton Centre has a combo indoor-outdoor pool, and of the three on your list, I think it is the best located, except for the Bluejays.

That said, it's not much of a walk from the Sheraton to the ball game. Walk across Queen to John Street, turn left, walk half a dozen blocks south.

BAK
Jul 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Re: Hotwire - I checked there first and then bid lower on Priceline. I eneded up with the Sheraton Centre for $68/night for 4 nights at the end of August. (I have a 1-yr old so I'm not planning the hotel with baby in mind, yet.) Nonetheless I was happy to have a hotel with close proximity to transportation, restaurants, etc... And the price was right!
Jul 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Some other posting talked about avoiding the GST (?) by booking ahead of time or from the US instead of in Canada. Not sure I got that right... When I just talked to Delta Chelsea reservastions, they didn't know and gave me the price including GST and hospitality taxes. How can I avoid this?
Jul 19th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the information. We opted for the Westin Prince. After reading some things about the Delta Chelsea, I did not feel it worth the money - even with the downtown location.

I decided against the Meadowvale since there were several comments on tripadvisor about bedbugs as recently as June. Yccch!

I was NOT disappointed at all with the Prince. The kids enjoyed the pool. There was a wonderful fitness room. We did not eat there, but there are many restaurants within walking distance. There was a subway stop about 2 miles away. We just drove to the parking lot and hopped on the train to go downtown.

As far as the GST, I just took my hotel receipt to the duty free shop and they refunded the GST for the entire stay.

Thanks again!
Jul 20th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Hotwire is very reliable for downtown toronto... and other locations. plus the price is right.

for toronto specifically, let's be honest, all the hotels are the same in the downtown core, hilton, sheraton, intercontinental, weston, skydome (rogers centre) etc... so you should be safe using hotwire. (provided you pick a 4 star)

with kids the delta chelsea is without a doubt the best spot in toronto. poutine didn't like it but didn't have any better suggestion(s).