Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Westin Harbour Castle or Sheraton Center for quick anniversary get-away?

Search

Toronto Westin Harbour Castle or Sheraton Center for quick anniversary get-away?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:31 AM
traveler

We're hoping to sneak in just a weekend in Toronto (wish it could be longer, but...), and catch the show Mamma Mia. Which hotel would be most convenient to the theater? Which offers the best atmosphere? Which offers the most convenient access to shopping or transportation if we have a little extra time?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:47 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I never recommend staying at the Westin unless folks really want to be near the water. You're separated from the rest of downtown by an elevated freeway.<BR><BR>The Sheraton is more convenient.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:37 AM
Susan

( Not sure which theatre).( Which weekend? Summer? Fall?)Head straight to Avenue Rd/Bloor & stay @ Park Hyatt (cab it to show if necessary). It's the best To. hotel & perfect for your "getaway". I agree w/ 'Brian In Atlanta' about Westin Harbour Castle although some will beg to differ. In addition I don't like the fact that the WHC does not have a proper restaurant for breakfast: they serve a buffet breakfast in the hotel lobby bar (at least that was the situation when I last stayed there. Also room service was very, very slow @ WHC & you may want to enjoy room service during your getaway. Now about the Sheraton, IMHO it is not in the same category as WHC in terms of luxury & ambience & it falls way below Park Hyatt. The Sheraton is a vey good "basic" hotel in the heart of downtown To. which may be fine for your purposes. Anyway, wherever you end up I your weekend is a great getaway!<BR>Susan

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Brian Kilgore

Sheraton is five minute walk from Mamma Mia theatre (Royal Alexandra).<BR><BR>Westin is maybe half an hour, crossing underneath railway tracks and highway, walking through dullness and parking lots.<BR><BR>Depending on timing, Westin is next to a non-operating ferry to Toronto Islands (see garbage strike threads) If the strike is over, Westin is close to the islands, stolls through harborfront, etc.<BR><BR>I had dinner this afternoon at the Sheraton, and saw dozens of happy looking Americans booking into the hotel, ready for fun. There's more to do, closer, to the Sheraton, except for the harbor attractions.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Brian Kilgore

Sheraton is five minute walk from Mamma Mia theatre (Royal Alexandra).<BR><BR>Westin is maybe half an hour, crossing underneath railway tracks and highway, walking through dullness and parking lots.<BR><BR>Depending on timing, Westin is next to a non-operating ferry to Toronto Islands (see garbage strike threads) If the strike is over, Westin is close to the islands, stolls through harborfront, etc.<BR><BR>I had dinner this afternoon at the Sheraton, and saw dozens of happy looking Americans booking into the hotel, ready for fun. There's more to do, closer, to the Sheraton, except for the harbor attractions.<BR><BR>Sheraton is linked to giant department store by tunnel, then more connections to giant shopping center.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Connie

Brian, do you have a problem with stuttering?

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Susan

Oh, Connie, leave BAK alone! Brian generally gives excellent, reliable advice & what's the big deal if he hit "send" twice? Maybe now that the weather has cooled down somewhat you will too!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Warren

Sheraton Centre is a better bet as it is closer to the Theatre. Also you might check out the Holiday Inn on King Street, just a block or two from the Theatre.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:32 PM
noname

The Holiday Inn on King St. is walking distance to all the theatre district and nite life.