Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Toronto-Vancouver VIA Rail Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/toronto-vancouver-via-rail-canada-1087259/)

Dayenu Feb 20th, 2016 02:48 PM

Toronto-Vancouver VIA Rail Canada

Hello to all reading this. We will take all, or a part of the Toronto-Vancouver train route. If we start from a station in the middle of the route: Winnipeg or Edmonton, will we miss a lot of interesting scenery?

For now, the draft plans are: fly in one of the 3 cities mentioned above, take the train to Vancouver, either fly home, or take the 3-day cruise back to San Francisco.

colduphere Feb 21st, 2016 04:14 AM

Dayenu - this excellent question deserves an excellent reply. It will not come from me.

I have not taken this train but have driven along every part of it. The thought of taking the train from Toronto to about Saskatoon wouldn't thrill me. From there seeing part of the prairies and then through the mountains would be wonderful.

Now that I have answered I will research where the train actually goes. :)

thursdaysd Feb 21st, 2016 07:12 AM

In 2012 I took the train from Vancouver to Toronto (well, actually on to Ottawa), stopping off in Jasper for a couple of days. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip (besides the views, the food was pretty good).

The best scenery was between Vancouver and Jasper (some of which you will sleep through) but I enjoyed the flatter sections more than I expected. I highly recommend a stop in Jasper.

See: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ossing-canada/

and: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...mmm-mountains/

I don't think there's much point in boarding at Edmonton, it's so close to Jasper, so if you don't want to do the whole trip I'd suggest Winnepeg.

If you're feeling flush you could also look into the Rocky Mountaineer.

Dayenu Feb 21st, 2016 08:13 AM

More food for thoughts :) Thank you, both!

tomfuller Feb 21st, 2016 09:29 AM

If you want to see the prairies, take the train west from Winnipeg. If you just want to see the Canadian Rockies, fly to Edmonton and take the short trip to Jasper and spend 2 or 3 days until the next Canadian.
I have been on the Canadian several times. In October 2001 I took it from Toronto to Winnipeg and took the train up to Churchill. I spent 12 hours in Churchill and took the train back to Winnipeg.
I spent a couple of nights at the HI hostel in Winnipeg before continuing west to Jasper. I spent a couple of nights at the HI Hostel outside Jasper.
You can rent a car within walking distance of the Jasper train station or take a Brewster tour.

Dayenu Feb 21st, 2016 06:25 PM

I will look into breaking up the trip. Too many possibilities :)

Daniel_Williams Feb 22nd, 2016 06:50 PM

Hi Dayenu,

I've taken the Canadian train the whole length a few times now. Thursdaysd summed it up well; about Hinton, Alta. to Vancouver was the scenic "wow" portion of the ride for most, but I too enjoy (in a peaceful sort of way) the Prairies and the Canadian Shield in northern Ontario (the Canadian Shield has a seemingly endless parade of lakes, rivers and boreal wilderness) more than I thought I might before doing the trip.

I remember you've taken the California Zephyr train from Chicago to Emeryville. Here's my thought for you: if you wished you'd only done the Denver->Emeryville part of that ride, you probably would similarly only want to do the Edmonton--> Vancouver part; if you however were glad you also did the Chicago--> Denver portion (for the relaxation of the plains, etc...), you may find contentment similarly starting in Winnipeg or Toronto. Mind you, Toronto --> Winnipeg with its boreal wilderness and isolated feel is very different scenically from anything in that ride.

Hope you have a great time whatever you decide! Daniel

tomfuller Feb 22nd, 2016 07:17 PM

The ugliest thing I remember seeing from the Canadian is the dead area downwind of Canada's tallest smokestack at Sudbury.
It is next to the nickel mine.
I enjoyed "The Forks" in Winnipeg which is just to the east of the train station. It is the confluence of the Red and Asiniboine Rivers. Great shopping area with a rail museum nearby.

Dayenu Feb 22nd, 2016 11:33 PM

Thank you, all! Our trip is shaping up... sort of :) We firmly decided on East to West.

Need to decide on the starting point. I want from Winnipeg, my husband wants from Toronto. Maybe I can talk him out of this long boring trip.

thursdaysd Feb 23rd, 2016 04:30 AM

Hmm, I didn't find it at all boring. And if you're not enjoying the scenery, try chatting with your fellow travelers in the dome/lounge car.

Daniel_Williams Feb 23rd, 2016 05:21 AM

Dayenu--

Agree with thursdaysd (assuming you're in the sleeper car). If your husband prevails and you end up starting in Toronto, you might not be as bored as you're thinking. I always bring an e-reader filled with books, crossword puzzles and one could have an I-Pad etc... with films.

Honestly, though, between sleeping, meals and train activities I find I don't make as much progress in my books as I think I might. Meal time often brings on interesting conversation, as you're seated at a table for 4. There were fantastic Canadian folk singers the last two times I went (young musicians who told me that they got a free ride in exchange for their entertaining) who performed in the lounge car and there's an activity coordinator who in my experience shows current movies, history-of-the-Canadian-train movies and plans wine and cheese tastings or such events; there are games such as Scrabble and Cribbage that I ended up playing with a group of Toronto nurses. There's the complimentary champagne and hors d'oeuvres in the dome car upon departure from Toronto, which along with the bar car tends to get people chatty and in good spirits. It's an international crowd, which creates for generally a fun interactive vibe. I find I have a far busier social life on the train than what I have at home!

Best wishes, Daniel

Dayenu Feb 23rd, 2016 07:08 PM

We decided on Toronto. Activities on departure? I think the train leaves at 10 pm, isn't it a bit too late?

I didn't know about movies, etc... Now I am feeling better, thank you, Daniel!

tomfuller Feb 23rd, 2016 07:19 PM

It has changed a lot since I started at 9AM in October 2001.
Do you have Blue & Gold (sleeper)?
In 2001 I was in coach the whole way with a North America Rail Pass which only lasted 2 or 3 years.

Daniel_Williams Feb 24th, 2016 06:06 AM

Dayenu--

You'll probably be boarding around 9:30 or so. The bar car adjacent the dome car is serving until around 11pm. Despite the late hour, many people are kind of giddy about doing, what is for many, a lifelong dream of taking the train across Canada-- so tend to be more awake than usual. And the prospect of a complimentary glass of champagne and a few elegant nibbles is incentive enough to bring passengers to the bar car and the adjacent lounge and dome car.

Best, Daniel

Dayenu Feb 24th, 2016 02:24 PM

Tom Fuller - no reservations yet, but definitely some sort of a sleeper, they have different ones, from "behind the curtain" (hey, I came from the other side of the Iron Curtain :D ) to 2-persons beds.

Daniel, we think we'll get back to the hotel early for a nap, probably have to keep the room for another day? need to figure this out.

We need to figure out how many days in each city, how many vacation days needed, after that I can talk to the manager, and only after that I'll see what sleepers are left... I hope not sold out!

Daniel_Williams Feb 25th, 2016 05:50 AM

Dayenu--

Yes, I was lucky, staying with a friend so didn't have to go to the train station until the early evening. The good news is that the waiting lounge at Union Station in Toronto for sleeper passengers (called I believe the Panorama Lounge) is large, comfortable and with complimentary drinks, wifi and amenities such as a business center. I dreaded having to wait for 3 1/2 hours (I had to leave my friend's place early since he had an appointment) at the station with my luggage but it turned out to be all right. I think I got supper (sushi?) from the train station food court while my luggage was stored in the lounge. It's the nicest train station lounge in North America I've been to in the cities that offer this (and I've been to a few: New Orleans, Chicago, New York, DC, Vancouver, Montreal, Miami). Maybe knowing this will prevent you from having to shell out for an extra night in Toronto?

Hope it works out whatever you do. Best wishes, Daniel

Dayenu Feb 26th, 2016 03:53 PM

Thank you, Daniel!

Dayenu Mar 2nd, 2016 08:24 PM

NOT HAPPENING :(

Family matters. Children are moving to another state in the US, and we'll be visiting them.

At least they called before I made reservations :)

I am sad mostly that they are moving half-country away :(

eliztravels2 Mar 3rd, 2016 02:37 AM

Oh, too bad. But you can make it happen another time.

Be glad your ‘kids’ are only half a country away. I have one with young grandkids literally half a world away, in Western Australia, also one in Hong Kong. And a few years ago the one is Australia told me she was pregnant two days after we had booked flights (she'd just found out) and we had to make some expensive changes.

Although people often comment on how hard it must be for us having them so far away, I choose to think of it as an opportunity to get to know other parts of the world and share in a different culture and lifestyle. Fortunately, so far, we have our health and the financial means to visit once a year.

Best wishes in adapting to your new family circumstances. Keep dreaming of future travels.

Micheline Nov 28th, 2016 02:40 PM

Well I appreciate this information. Our daughter and sil just booked all 4 of us for this trip end of April. This is our Xmas present from them. So excited. They live in London,U.K. and will meet us in Toronto. Thanks for the post Dayenu and everyone who answered.