Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto - Second City comedy - OK for 16 year old? Also, your thoughts on We Will Rock You!

Search

Toronto - Second City comedy - OK for 16 year old? Also, your thoughts on We Will Rock You!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're probably driving up for a weekend within the next few weeks with our son. I'm thinking about taking him to We Will Rock You, but was wondering about Second City instead. I'm wondering what age range it's geared to.

Also, lease tell me if you've seen We Will Rock You and if you liked it!

Thank you!

Old Apr 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Several years ago I went to Second City and almost walked out. I think they went over the edge with their "humour". It was quite vulgar. I remember going to Second City when John Candy, Andrea Martin, Eugene Levy, Catherine O"hara, to name a few, were the stars and their comedy was based on local political satire and current events. Perhaps another poster has been to see the show more recently and has a more up-to-date review. My son who is in his 30's saw We Will Rock You and enjoyed it. Your son probably will, too, if he likes the music from Queen.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM

I meant to say music by Queen, not from.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
BAK

Quoting my 13 year old boy, who went to We will Rock You last Sunday. "It was awesome."

Hehas some knowledge of showbiz, and is an animator to some limited extent, so he understands show production. And he likes Queen anyway.

As for Second City, I think the overall shows vary quite a bit. Second City does have conmedy classes for kids, so the bosses understand humor and youth, etc., promopting me to think that a phone call might actually get useful info, as contrasted to places where you'd never get a straight answer.

BAK
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Scotia and BAK. I went to a Second City show in Toronto many, years ago and I don't remember it being too vulgar. But, obviously, they do different comedy on different nights. So I'll give them a call.

And thanks for your teenage son's feedback on We Will Rock You, BAK. My son does like the old Queen music (me too)!!!

I'm looking forward to a weekend away from Buffalo. I just wish the weather would cooperate!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 04:54 AM
BAK

How interested is the boy in warplanes?

The Canadian WArplane Heritage Museum is outside of Hamilton, next to the Hamilton airport, and we spend a lot of time there.

The planes are so close you can walk under them. A few are sill flying and you might see these outdoors, taxiing to and from the takeoff and landing runways.

A few are planes that mostly flew for the USAF and the UA Army, there are some British ones, and lots of Candidian planes, including half a dozen jets just like the ones the USAF flew.

Try www.warplane.com

On weekends, there are usually lots of old timers around who are happy to talk with kids.

After you fiinish there it's easy enough to get back on a big highway and go to Toronto, and the web site has decent maps from the Queen Elizabeth Way, coming from Buffalo.

Mom's who are not big fans of warplanes can wait in a decent coffee shop reading a book without feeling you need to give up your table.

This is a great place for anyone interested in history, wars, or planes.

BAK

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Wow, BAK.....I've never heard about that museum. I definitely think it's worth a visit. However, I'll probably save it for a day trip in the summer.

Thank you for the suggestion!