Temperature mid / late September Canadian Rockies, BC

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2014, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to complete a tour from Calgary to Vancouver via banff, jasper, Vancouver Island... 13-27 September. At this stage I've narrowed the tour choice down to either intrepid or g adventures as they appear like reputable well established adventure travel companies - 30 something active female. The accommodation will primarily be camping (I want to get away from technology...into the outdoors) and I chose the time of year to coincide with autumn (fall) as I want the beautiful colours.

I know it can get cold at night but would appreciate feedback regarding the type of clothing I'll need to get through the nights / days reasonably comfortably. I'm currently living on the South coast (NSW) of Australia and we're coming into winter and it's still mid 20's / teens at night and the winter stays quite mild so I certainly won't be used to single digits or below (Celsius).

Appreciate your help
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:58 AM

Welcome!

It really depends. Lower down in places like Vancouver, temps will almost certainly be mild, though not as mild as you are used to in Australia.

Up in the mountains, especially in Jasper & Banff NP, the end of September marks the shift to winter. It can be beautiful, but it is not at all unusual to have the first snows of the year in the mountains by mid September. They won't stick in the valley bottoms, but could up higher. Nightime temps, especially towards the end of the month, could easily dip below freezing. Daytime temps in the mountains could get up to 20, but more likely will be in 10-15c with cooler mornings and evenings (days will be shorter and temps drop when the sun disappears). Last year Sept 13 was about the hottest day of the year, but days later the first snows came to the mountains.

If you are going to be camping, you need a sleeping bag rated down to 0C, and lots of layers. You probably will end up in thin pants/capris and short sleeve shirt during the day, but you will want to have long underwear and fleece/down/merino layers, plus a warm hate & mitts or gloves. Plus a rain jacket or soft shell that is water repellant.

G Adventures and Intrepid both seem interesting, though they really don't seem to get you much off the beaten path for the Rockies tours. Not what I would call real adventure tourism and it's a fairly rush trip through a lot of parks in a short time. Remember that you have to get from park to park, and there's a fair bit of driving involved so not all the "days" in each park are going to be full days, some very much not so. You also aren't going to get a lot of real hiking in or see the backcountry. The campsites will be roadside, so mostly pretty, but will not be roughing it by any means and you will be sharing most with everything from tents to RVs. It's fine if that's what you are expecting, but the descriptions suggest mostly the regular tourist sites, plus some short day hikes and river rafting. Technology will never be far away - campsites have toilets and sometimes showers and electrical hook-ups. If you really want to "get away" you have to do multi day backpacks or treks where there is no cell reception (I did 5 nights away from cell reception and loved every minute of it!).

If you drive, I suspect you could put together a cheaper and more interesting trip on your own. None of the activities are hard to book or particularly expensive. Nice hostel beds or campsite spots are only $15-30 per night in September, and you can eat inexpensively at cafes at some hostels and by cooking on your own or making your own lunches.
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:31 PM

<i>"If you drive...you could put together a cheaper and more interesting trip on your own. None of the activities are hard to book or particularly expensive. Nice hostel beds or campsite spots are only $15-30 per night in September, and you can eat inexpensively at cafes at some hostels and by cooking on your own or making your own lunches.</i>"

Best advice I've read here in ages.
Old May 24th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for this advice kgsneds. Are their any local tour operators that you might suggest where you don't have to carry your own pack?
Old May 24th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Check with Brewster Tours. I have been in Jasper in late October before. Sometimes there is frost early in the morning but is is gone by 9AM.
There is a nice HI Hostel about 4km out of Jasper near the north end of the Icefield Highway. A dorm bed there is the closest I come to camping in Canada.
Try to get to Maligne Canyon for a walk down the gorge.
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:18 AM

Brewsters runs the big bus tours. Not what OP is looking for, nor a company that I will recommend any more.

Late October in Jasper usually is more than just a light frost. Think snow, though it may not stick for the winter at the point. Or it may. The last two years the winter snows and have come and stayed in Edmonton starting in very early November. Early September, however, should be fine.

As to carrying your own pack? I guess I am not sure what you are looking for in terms of a tour. If you want adventure, wilderness and/or off the beaten path, then it's going to take some muscle power.

If you want to hike or backpack, you will be carrying your own stuff. It's certainly not unheard of to have food portered in for longer trips, but that's usually to keep pack weights down (i.e. under 40-45 lbs). The only trips I can think of without any carrying of significant weight would either be overnight horseback riding trips or the few places you can helicopter into a campsite (provincial parks). Both those options are quite expensive. I think you can paddle to a campsite or two on Maligne Lake, but you would need to book that far ahead and have someone to buddy with to make that feasible.

A tour like G Adenvtures will have the traveling by bus/van, you are only carrying gear to/from the tent or hostel. And then a day pack for any hikes or river trips. So if you don't want to carry stuff, then I think that's your best option. But as I said, that's going to be roadside camping and only short ventures out into the parks. Or again, driving yourself and doing your own side trips.

Perhaps it might help for you to make clear what your interests and intentions are for this trip? Do you want to see the regular tourist sites, plus get in a few day hikes /river rafting trips? Or get off the beaten path and do overnights into the parks? Stay in real beds? Or camp?
Old May 27th, 2014, 01:48 AM

Some provincial and national campgrounds now rent fully equipped yurts or tent campers for a night or two which are already set up on a site . They fill up quickly but since you will be travelling off peak season, you may be able to still book. All provincial and national campgrounds will have hiking trails, of varying difficulty and length so you could do day hikes from your campsite.
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I've booked with g adventures. This is my first trip to canada so I figure the tour will allow me to see the main "attractions" (mountains / parks) where no doubt I will love them and then I can come back and concentrate on certain locations. Budget was a big factor this time around as it's quite a spontaneous trip and camping is simply my desire to not overspend on accommodation and to be able to wake up and smell the fresh air / get away from tv's... Call it soft camping... The tour was also for a bit of safety while in the country for the first time (single female). And I'm completely ok with driving and have been known to do crazy day trips just to see some beautiful scenery.

In regards to my main motivations. I love mountains and lakes (especially glacier lakes), Switzerland and the South Island of New Zealand are two of my favourite places and I believe Canada will slip straight in with my favourites.

I'm currently contemplating arriving in Calgary 4-5days before the tour starts and heading straight to banff so I get a bit more time there. I'd like to hire a bike and do some exploring of the local area...
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 05:02 PM

The weather in mid to late September in the Rockies can be very variable. Some years it is hot, and other years it is not.

Last year temperatures in mid-September were in the 27C to 30C range (although it cooled down quickly), same in 2009.

The weather can also be very variable in from one day to next, and the warmer days are more likely earlier in the month and cooler days later in the month. Best be prepared for changing conditions.

Although snow is possible, it isn't probable, and the snow that falls will be at the higher elevations. Jasper is usually quite dry, Banff and Lake Louise (especially Lake Louise) have more and earlier snow, but I wouldn't really expect it till late October.

The predictions are for an El Nino year starting this autumn, and that usually means milder temperatures.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your input