Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Toronto Restaurant Suggestion for Party of 10 (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/toronto-restaurant-suggestion-for-party-of-10-a-269465/)

Bonnie Oct 29th, 2002 07:25 PM

Toronto Restaurant Suggestion for Party of 10

Anyone taken a party of 10 out in Toronto and had a round table? I'm trying to find a downtown restaurant that can accomodate our group. We want great food without huge prices. Not easy finding a restaurant that fits our needs. Any suggestions, fodorites?

cindy Oct 30th, 2002 04:37 AM

I'm not sure if this would meet your needs, but there are a number of Chinese restaurants that have big round tables like that - they usually put one of those revolving lazy-susan type things in the middle.

Bram Oct 30th, 2002 07:03 AM

Hi Bonnie,<BR><BR>What price is your price range ?

Bonnie Oct 30th, 2002 08:38 AM

Entrees between $12.95 and $18.95. Prefer Italian, Contintental, etc.- not Chinese. We're entertaining out-of-town guests so atmosphere, service, and food are all important.

elizabeth Oct 30th, 2002 11:06 AM

I was at a round table for at least 8 at Joe Badalis on Front Street - food is quite good and within your price range<BR>http://www.toronto.com/infosite/146694/1.shtml

bram Oct 30th, 2002 12:08 PM

Hi Bonnie,<BR><BR>Some options are;<BR><BR>The Boulevard-on Harbord<BR>Ferro-on St. Clair<BR>Ferarro-on Eglinton<BR>Any Greek restaurant on The Danforth.<BR><BR>Let me know if you need other recomendations.<BR>

Bonnie Oct 31st, 2002 10:34 AM

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Tried them but finally settled on Pastis on Yonge St. because they could accomodate us with a round table. Hope it's a great evening. Thanks again.

Dee Nov 1st, 2002 02:45 AM

I would be interested in what you think of Pastis when you return. With 10 people you should have better service than we had. I don't remember any round tables there, however some restaurants change configurations for groups. I think it may be over your stated budget though.

bram Nov 1st, 2002 05:59 AM

Hi Bonnie,<BR>Good decision on Pastis but there's no way that dinner will fit into your budget. For what you are going to spend I'd get the side room at Mistura-not a round table but a large square. We were there with a group of about 10 and had a great evening. However, you will enjoy Pastis.

Brian Kilgore Nov 1st, 2002 11:47 AM

Two thoughts on Pastis.<BR>1/ Looking at a Toronto restaurant guide a few minutes ago, and offering no opinion on the accuracy of the guide, I convey to you the info that the guide suggests dinner for two, with wine, tax, tip, etc, is over $120.<BR><BR>2/ And, in regard to service; years of eating have taught me that big tables in fancy restaurants, where each patron orders something different, lead to disappointing service, just because the kitchen and the waiter are not geared to getting ten orders to the same table at the same three-minute period.<BR><BR>Either the food arrives very slowly, or the first plates ready wait in the kitchen under the heat lamps while the last three or four catch up. Perhaps this restaurant is different, but my wife ate in a trendy, gourmet-class College Street restaurant recently in a group of eight and reported the service-sequence problem. She also reported there appears to be a pasta shortage in Toronto, with each restaurant only allowed to give a tiny bit to customers in return for $16 - 20.<BR><BR>Anyway, good luck with your meal, and bring extra money.<BR>BAK

Dee Nov 2nd, 2002 03:54 AM

The poor service we experienced at Pastis had nothing to do with the number of guests. There were only 2 of us. Rather, the waiters and owner were so busy being &quot;kissy, kissy&quot; with the regulars that we were virtually ignored.

Bonnie Nov 4th, 2002 04:20 AM

I'm grateful to everyone who responded and am happy to let you know about our experience. As we approached the restaurant my husbancd informed me that when Pastis called to re-confirm the reservation on Friday they advised him that they could not accomodate us at a round table-theirs only accomodated 8. Needless to say, I was stunned. As I entered the restaurant I could see the rectangular table that I could have requested anywhere, of course. I quietly took the owner aside and explained my disappointment, not to mention shock, at being misled. He immediately took action and asked me if putting tables together in a square would be acceptable and he sprang into action. We had a delightful corner to ourselves at the back and had a wonderful evening of great food, great conversation...and, yes, the bill was higher than we had wanted. But our out-of-town guests had a perfect and unforgettable evening of Toronto cuisine!