Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Toronto Pearson Airport from Niagara (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/toronto-pearson-airport-from-niagara-602587/)

Ela Mar 26th, 2006 02:48 PM

Toronto Pearson Airport from Niagara

I will be returning to Toronto Int'l airport for my Wed 12 noon flight from Niagara-on-the Lake at the end of June. How long a drive is it? I should be at the airport by 10am. Would it be better if we return to Toronto the evening before so as not to be rushed during the morning commute. We will have spent 5 days in Toronto before going to Stratford and Niagara.

kodi Mar 26th, 2006 04:19 PM

If you leave Niagara on the Lake at 8 am you should be fine. By the time you get to Hamilton/ Burlington area it will be 9 and the Toronto bound traffic will have eased off. I regularly travel into Toronto at 9 am and it's not bad.
Having said that, there is always a chance there will be a bad accident that will tie things up terribly.
But I haven't been held up for quite awhile.

BAK Mar 26th, 2006 06:46 PM

I'm less optimistic.

I frequently drive from Oakville to just across the street from Terminal Three, and I always set my meetings for 10 am because the traffic is awful earlier than thet.

I find the big problem is highway 403 from the Queen Elizabeth Way by the Ford plant, up to highway 401 south of the airport.

If you were on the Queen Elizabeth Way at 8, rather than just pulling out of a hotel parking lot 20 minutes from the highway, you'd probably be OK.

this will put you around Oakville in medium traffic around 9

I allow myself an hour from Oakville to the airport, and usually have 10 minutes to spare.

BAK

wow Mar 26th, 2006 07:00 PM

I wld go in the night b/f & avoid all of that morning stress. Stay @ The Sheraton Gateway @ Terminal. Have a relaxing swim, a nice liesurely dinner & the next morning wake up knowing that all you have to do is get to your check-in counter by 10:00! Another factor to consider is that you will be travelling @ "the end of June" which to me means "the beginning of the July 1st weekend" which is a mojor holiday in Canada...Canada Day...so lots of traffic w/ people trying to get out of Toronto.

wow Mar 26th, 2006 07:01 PM

that's Terminal 3

Ela Mar 26th, 2006 11:16 PM

Thanks to all who replied. This is a great place to exchange ideas and info. Going in the night before sounds like the better idea.

Ela Mar 26th, 2006 11:21 PM

I will definitely go in night before. This is my first trip to Toronto. I still have to return the rental car before checking into terminal, and I'll probably get lost in the process, too. So it's off to the Sheraton Gateway. Thanks again.

kodi Mar 27th, 2006 02:43 AM

Just curious BAK, why do you stick to the 403? We leave Burlington at 9, travel the QEW to the 427 and up to Dixon Rd. It's much better traffic wise and shorter too. I avoid the 403. Give it a shot.

BAK Mar 27th, 2006 05:28 AM

Why I pick my route.

I'm starting off at Dundas, so I'm already well north of the QEW.

And I believe that the QEW, especially around the ford plant and after 403 joins it, is just as awful as 403.

And for some of these trips, I've been going over the top of the airport, along Dixon Road.

But I may try your suggestion next time.

Thanks

BAK

kodi Mar 27th, 2006 12:21 PM

Ah, ok. Being near Dundas makes a difference. I don't find the QEW too bad, but ONLY after 9 am. Either way is murder any earlier.

almcd Mar 29th, 2006 04:45 AM

Having just spent 4 hours sitting in a traffic jam due to a truck jack-knifing, go the night before. I was on my way to the airport in a mini-bus with 7 other people and my wife and I were the only ones to get their flight.

wow Mar 29th, 2006 10:41 AM

almcd: What time of day were you travelling? Were you stuck on the QEW or where?