Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto info -- Explosions at Keele and Wilson?

Aug 10th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

I woke up at 4 am this morning to the sound of what I thought must be very strange thunder. We live at Yonge and Eg and the bedroom windows were closed, and yet I was woken out of a sound sleep by boom, boom, boom, boom! We've been having some problems with teenage kids in the neighburhood so I looked out the window thinking it was them, then I even went downstairs and stood on the front porch but couldn't see anything. The booming noises continue and I thought it was just some very unusual distant thunder -- very strange though.

Anyway, I just heard that it was a huge series of propane explosions at Keele and Wilson. Have you heard anything about it? Do any of you have friends or family who live there? Is everyone OK?

Aug 10th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Hi goddesstogo, here is one short article (I went onto Google).

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/explo...o-neighborhood

How scary. Explosions are horrible.

There were some other websites on Google that have have photos via Flickr.

Aug 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for posting that, LI. That's about all I know about it. Fortunately, I don't know anyone who lives in that neighbourhood, although I'm there for various reasons quite often. Just a few weeks ago I was at that corner because my friend's boyfriend was playing in a band at a bar there.

Actually, now that I think of it, her sister doesn't live to far from there -- think I better give her a call!
Aug 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM

Goddesstogo, the SF Chronicle has this article that gives a lot more information.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...i082034D51.DTL

It doesn't sound like anyone has been injured or killed thank goodness.
Aug 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank goodness is right -- can you imagine if this had happened during a work day?
Aug 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM

That is what I have been thinking goddesstogo. Our area has had a few explosions over the decades that are similar with many deaths, so tragic. By the way, when a plant about ten miles from where I lived as a child of about 12 or somewhere in that age range exploded I was in my friend's bedroom. Her mother had gone to the grocery store. We were suppose to be watching my friend's six year old sister. We weren't doing a very good job of that. When the BOOM, BOOM, BOOM sounded and the house shook we ran downstairs and accussed the poor little sister who was shaking in her shoes of causing the "booms and the rattling". Kids, they are so stupid while being so know it all.

My best to those who have had been affected by this explosion.

Aug 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Sadly, I just heard on the news that a fireman has died.
I've been in Buffalo shopping all day, and just heard about it on the way home.
The 401 is closed from the 400 to DVP. I sure hope it's open by the rush hour tomorrow morning.
Aug 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

There's also one person unaccounted for, possibly an employee.
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:57 PM

It's a miracle that more people weren't killed or seriously injured. The truly scary thing that's coming out now is the apparent TOTAL LACK of serious safety regulations regarding these propane depots.