Toronto china/greek town restaur. picks?

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto china/greek town restaur. picks?

Thank you, everybody, who took time to answer my question about top Toronto picks. I can't wait to go! Now, what would you recommend for dinner/lunch in Chinatown and Greektown? We can't afford luxury meals, however. Thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 01:07 PM

I'm probably not the best person to give advice on Chinatown. But we do go to the Danforth a lot. I like the Ouzeri, also Mezes (but I usually end up at the Ouzeri). Also have enjoyed Lolita's Lust for dinner, also on the Danforth. There's another place on the Danforth - I haven't been to their new location - it's not Greek - it's Belgian, called Cafe Brussels. Their mussels and frites were really good. There's also a tapas bar near there - I haven't tried it, but it looks interesting.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:14 PM
BAK

Bright Pearl, on the west Side of Spadina several blocks north of Dundas, in a great place for informal dim sum. Very reasonable prices, excellent food.

BAK
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 08:22 PM

Toronto has a handful of Asian dining and shopping districts. There are typically Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean and Japanese restaurants in the same area.

The original Chinese district is in the Dundas Spadina area. Walk west on Front street and then walk north.

There is a Vietnameese area on Dundas at Broadview. Access by Dundas eastbound streetcar.

The Korean village is on Bloor west of Bathurst. Korean BBQ is great. Access via Bloor subway line station Bathurst.

Pacific Place mall on Kennedy and Steeles is an interesting place to visit. Take Steeles east bus from Finch station on the Yonge Line.

Also checkout Spring Rolls - there is one on Front street east of the hotel between Church and Jarvis (St. Lawremce Market Area). My dinner bill today came to $25.

There is bus service to the following places but you are looking at over an hour getting there from downtown Toronto. Renting a car is advisable.

Highway Seven in Markham between Bayview and Kennedy has some of the best Chineese restaurants in North American in my humblest opinion.
Try Dim Tai Fun in First Markham place
at Woodbine and Highway 7.
If you are on a budget, the expensive restaurants are Bayview Gardens, the Ambassador and Akasaka (my favourite sushi joint).

Midland Avenue in Scarborough from Steeles to Finch has numerous restaurants - there is a Malaysian one that was pretty good and cheep.
There is a Tim Horton's at Midland and Steeles - about 1KM east of Pacific Place.

The Asian village in Missisauga is located on Central Parkway and worthwhile trip - Vietnameese pho and a rolls and a drink for under $10.

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Greektown is full of great places for low prices. Astoria still has one of the best chicken souvlaki on a pita for very little money. Another excellent budget place is Messini Authentic Gyros - one of the rare places in town where you can get a gyros pita with the fries jammed inside the sandwich. There, you can have the double gyros dinner plate - two gyros sandwiches, fries and a salad for around $11.95. Ridiculously cheap!
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Don't forget Litle Italy. There are a lot of great restaurnats there. Menus are posted in the windows so you can check out prices as you walk along. A cab is the best way to get there. We have had good meals in "Greektown" along the Danforth at Omonia and Pappas Grill. (Omonia is less expensive). The foodies on chowhound.com agree with susanintoronto about Lolita's Lust. I haven't eaten there.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 06:40 AM

Lee Garden in Chinatown is amazing...no dim sum though..Its on Spadina a a few blocks north of Dundas.

In greektown try the Pantheon. Its awesome homecooked greek food.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 11:42 AM
wow

We used to go to Ellas on the Danforth all the time. Is it still there?
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 01:08 PM

I think Ellas may have closed. When I was in that area the other day, I noticed that there was a sign for another restaurant where Ellas used to be. It's another Greek restaurant.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:35 AM
wow

Hi,Susan! Thanks! So wld you go w/ Ouzeri? What's it like? Where exactly is it on the Danforth? North side? South side? Closest major intersection?
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:11 PM

I like Ouzeri. It's on the north side of the Danforth, right near Carlaw. I noticed the other day that it's closed for a few days - apparently there was a flood on the floor above the restaurant, but the sign didn't say how long they were closed. Mezas is also along that stretch, and it's nice if Ouzeri is closed.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
wow

ok, thx, Susan!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 07:27 PM

For an excellent Indian restaurant, try Sher-E-Punjab at 351 Danforth Ave Toronto, ON Phone: 416-465-2125.

Try the chicken tikka masala and mixed vegtables washed down with a Muskoka Cream Ale.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:36 AM

Jim, you're right - I forgot about that one. We ate there in September and really enjoyed it. It's been around forever, but for some reason, I never think of the Danforth and Greek food together.