Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Toronto & Vaughan Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/toronto-and-vaughan-hotels-638785/)

Nanafischer Aug 13th, 2006 09:02 AM

Toronto & Vaughan Hotels

We will be spending the week of August 20th in the Toronto area. My husband has business in Vaughan, so he doesn't want to be very far from that area. I will be on my own without a car, so if we could stay in an area near the subway, I could venture out on my own to Toronto. Husband likes to stay in the Hilton Family of hotels (for points!) such as the Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, and Hampton Inns. However, if there isn't one of those that is convenient to both cities, I can convince him to stay elsewhere. We will have that Friday and Saturday (25th & 26th) free all day for sightseeing together. Any suggestions?

kodi Aug 13th, 2006 04:53 PM

I'm afraid I can't help too much , only to say that the subway does not go out as far as Vaughan. So if you want to be near the subway, and let hubby drive to Vaughan, look for hotels in North York instead of Vaughan. It would not be far for him to drive and the subways do go up to NOrth York. To Finch station, I believe and Yonge Street.

Good luck.

Kate_W Aug 14th, 2006 02:42 AM

There appears to be a new Hilton Garden Inn in Vaughan, so that would be an option that would suit your husband. But, as kodi indicated, you will quite isolated without a car if you stay there. I had a quick look for rapid transit options (e.g. GO trains - the suburban commuter trains - etc) and couldn't find anything. (But I'm not familiar with rapid transit system in Greater Toronto, since I spent most of the past 18 years or so within a stone's throw of downtown.) You would be better off if you could find a place to stay that shortened his drive time, but gave you half-decent access to the subway or GO train system. One possibility might be to stay at the Holiday Inn at Yorkdale. You would be right beside a large shopping mall, with easy access to the subway. However, this might be too long a drive for your husband. Another possibility might be to stay at the airport, because then you could access the airport express bus that goes downtown (about 15 dollars each way).

One thing you definitely should do is relocate downtown for the weekend. There is a Hilton downtown (University Avenue and Richmond, I think). You can persuade your husband to move by telling him that staying in two different Hilton brand hotels will rack up an extra stay that counts toward achieving top status with the Hilton family hotels.

In Toronto, you should be sure to visit the Bata Shoe Museum. Unique and surprisingly educational (culture and history through footwear - plus a fun giftshop). Search under my name on the Canada forum for some other suggestions, particularly shopping suggestions. And BAK hasn't weighed in yet with advice on lodging and sightseeing but you can expect some good advice - worth searching for sightseeing suggestions, too.

Nanafischer Aug 14th, 2006 03:40 AM

How would it be if we stayed in Mississauga for the last part of our visit? There's a Hilton Homewood Suites there on Edwards Boulevard. He can get a free room at that location with his Hilton points. We will have a car.
We would have Friday and Saturday to sightsee from that location. I was thinking of going to Niagara Falls on one of those days and into Toronto on the other.
Any thoughts on this idea?

gemelli Aug 14th, 2006 04:06 AM

The new VIVA bus transit runs fairly close to the Hilton Garden in Vaughan. The Orange line is a direct run to the Downsview subway station. Bit of a schlepp though.
See this thread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=29
Kate has a great idea re the Holiday Inn at Yorkdale. Very convenient for you (subway and shopping)and depending on traffic not a bad commute for you husband.
The Hilton Garden in Mississauga will be charmless but convenient to the major highways and the airport. You will most definetly need a car.

kodi Aug 14th, 2006 02:50 PM

I agree with Kate's idea to stay at the Holiday Inn at Yorkdale. IT would be the best for you. It's right across the road from a big mall and also the subway.

As for staying at the Homewood suites on the weekend, the only reason to stay there is that it's free. It's in the middle of a commercial area ( meaning office buildings and light industry. ) There is nothing around the area. ...but it is close to major highways.
The one in Oakville might be a bit better choice if you are heading to Niagara Falls for the day, and it's also convenient to the QEW highway to go into Toronto. But it , too, is in a commercial area, but closer to restaurants.