Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Toronto and Montreal (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/toronto-and-montreal-125727/)

Sherri May 23rd, 2001 09:35 AM

Toronto and Montreal

What is the distance between Montreal and Toronto and could we visit both cities within a week's vacation time? Is there rail service?

LJ May 23rd, 2001 09:53 AM

Its about 5-6 hours driving time (i.e.550 kms)...yes, you could certainly see both cities, splitting the week and they make a very good "compare and contrast" kind of touring as they are VERY different. Yes there is rail service-its called ViaRail and you leave from downtown locations in both cases. Sorry no idea as to cost, but flying (without a deal is $350-$500 CDN, so I'm thinking maybe half that amount for train fare? Have a wonderful time!

Daniel Williams May 23rd, 2001 11:16 AM

Hi Sherri-- <BR> <BR>Yes you absolutely could visit both destinations over 1 week. There's a 4 hour express train (VIA Rail) Montreal-Toronto which leaves both cities at 5pm I believe daily. I remember paying in the CAN$100-$200 range but can't remember the price exactly. There are also slower trains that make more stops between Montreal and Toronto. <BR> <BR>I think that you would have a great vacation visiting Canada's two largest metropolises. <BR> <BR>DAN <BR> <BR>

L May 23rd, 2001 11:36 AM

go to Via Rail's website for schedule and rates or to make a reservation at www.viarail.ca <BR> <BR>They usually have specials when you book ahead of time

Brian Kilgore May 23rd, 2001 02:34 PM

I used to live in both cities concurrently, with weekends mostly in Montreal. There are many trains each day, so you can time your travel fairly precisely. Big discounts for booking a few days ahead, so check the Via Rail web site. <BR> <BR>There's no real benefit to travelling first class; you get there at the same time. You do get a fairly good meal in first class, but you can bring your lunch with you in economy. The meal service in economy, where you buy sandwiches, is not very good. <BR> <BR>If you elave from Monteal, the station there is full of great fast food places that will pack delicious sandwiches. If you leve from Toronto, the choice is not as good. <BR> <BR>By car, allow extra time. People all seem to believe it is a shorter trip than it actually is; it dpends where you are measuring from. Downtown to downtown, stopping for lunch, gas, coffee, etc. takes the better part of seven hours, or a bit more if you arrive in either city right at rush hour. Train is better than car, unless you want to visit Kingston or see the Thousand Islands on the way. <BR> <BR>And yes, the other posters are right when they told you a week was fine. the "compare and contrast" idea was a great one. Compare delis, high end restaurants, the mainmuseums, the waterfronts, local baked goods (Montreal bagels) and so on. <BR> <BR>BAK

Neil Jun 1st, 2001 06:59 AM

You could certainly split your time between the two cities although both have a lot to see. The best way is probably to travel by train the prices are available on the viarail web site. The airports are two far out of town to make if worthwhile flying. I`ve commuted between the two by air and rail and if I was going to do so again I would definatly take the train unless time was an absoloute premium. Have fun.