Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Toronto and a teenager (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/toronto-and-a-teenager-529741/)

sudie May 17th, 2005 10:45 AM

Toronto and a teenager

Take pity on a mom. Any specific suggestions on things to do to capture the interest of a 16-year-old boy in Toronto? (i.e. Non-mainstream things or things not found in the U.S.) Looking for edgier, alternative stores, restaurants, clubs or experiences. Looks like Queen Street might fit the bill or has that area become blasé? We visit May 30-June 3.

lucyp May 17th, 2005 12:12 PM

Hi, I think Queen W. will still appeal with it's wide range of stores. I would reccommend Kensington Market as well. My 17 year old neice was here and liked both areas. Baldwin Street between Beverly and McCaul has some great restaurant patios for people watching. But for clubs it gets harder, most are adult only - sometimes there are all-ages at The Opera House. Check out the listings in Now or Eye magazines - free weekly newsmagazines also online. nowtoronto.com

HogtownJim May 17th, 2005 09:12 PM

What is he interested in?

Cars are of interest when I was 16.

To that end, here are some good places
to windowshop...

1. Lamborghini dealership, 580 Front Street West Front and Bathurst.
2. Ferrari and Maseratti dealership, 101 Avenue Road Yorkville.
3. Porsche at Downtown Fine Cars
at 164 Avenue Road Toronto
4. Starbuck's on Yorkville by 4 Seasons
Motorcycles and every type of car
imaginable roll by in the evening.
5. BMW dealership Eastern Avenue and
Broadview. Architecture features
a four story wall of BMW's.

Other themes are musical instruments
Steve's on Queen or Long and McQuade on Bloor west, record shops (HMV on Yonge), clothing - H&M, Guess etc

A stroll through the U of T grounds,
a walk through Air Canada centre and the hockey hall of fame are a good way to spend time.

Another thing to do is rent a bicycle and peddle around Toronto's numerous paths and neighbourhoods.

sudie May 18th, 2005 06:13 AM

The idea of car window shopping is a good one, thank you. He really isn't into the sports thing. I have tried unsuccessfully to contact U of T for a tour because we are university shopping.

Is the harbour area tourist trap?

After checking the NOW and other websites it seems we have chosen a week when absolutely nothing is on the events calendars, no dance, no concerts, no festivals.

Still open to suggestions.

BAK May 18th, 2005 06:17 AM

If he's a science kind of kid, the Ontario Science Center is worth a visit.

Queen Street West is still a good place, but the difference from a cou-ple of years ago is that it now makes sense to continue walking west from Spadina, (where lots of people used to stop) all the way over to Bathurst.

I thnk the comdedy clubs are more teen friendly than some of the other clubs.

Smoking laws have ben changing; the latest is that a lot of former restaurants that turned into 19 and over bars so people could smoke have now turned back into restaurants that teens can visit. What kind of music is another question, of course.

Any serious hobbies?

The car watching is a good idea -- if you come from LA, then Toronto might not be car city, but if you come from Cleveland or Kansas City, you'll find a lot more interesting cars here.

BAK