Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Toronto Accomodations -- Royal Ontario Museum? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/toronto-accomodations-royal-ontario-museum-267211/)

Croaker Oct 20th, 2002 08:30 AM

Toronto Accomodations -- Royal Ontario Museum?

Hello, I would appreciate recommendations for an upper-moderate hotel in the downtown area for a 3 night weekend trip, with easy walking to the Royal Ontario Museum. One protesting teenager likely to be tagging along. <BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>

gary Oct 20th, 2002 04:49 PM

The Quality Inn on Bloor right accross from the Bata Shoe Museum is a good moderate price Hotel a short Walk from the ROM. The Hotel is also within easy walking distance of the trendy Yorkville shopping and nightlife area and is close to all the Subway lines. I'm not sure what your teenager is into but Toronto has pretty well something for every taste so being in a central area like Bloor should help.

susan Oct 21st, 2002 09:12 AM

My 10-year-old daughter and I are also planning a 3-day weekend in Toronto. We are staying at the Park Hyatt, which is directly across the street from the ROM. Fortunately, I was able to get a corporate discount through my employer, because it is probably one of the more expensive hotels in Toronto.

Cheryl Oct 22nd, 2002 05:20 AM

I just stayed in the Bay Bloor Executive Suites - just cross Bay and it's a very short and lovely walk through the grounds of the University of Toronto to the ROM. We had a bachelor suite (which only has one bed so you'd need larger accommodations). It was very clean, modern, and every room has a kitchenette. Check out www.baybloorexec.com. They have internet specials for October and November. Have fun.

Bonnie Oct 22nd, 2002 07:59 AM

I suggest the Marriott Yorkville/Bloor which is right on Bloor, about 4 interesting blocks from the Museum. It is connected to the subway which might be helpful for any of your days in T.O.<BR>Of course, the Park Hyatt would be my first choice, depending how "upper" you are talking. The Bay/Bloor Executive Suites are a good choice if you want more of an apartment feel to your accomodations, complete with kitchen. It is a few blocks south of Bloor on Bay St. As with most hotels there are a dozen different rates for the same room!<BR>Check the Marriott's ebreaks rates. Also most Canadian cities have a fall/Xmas promotion going on now. Some promotions include accomodation and theatre tickets. Definitely recommend Mama Mia if you haven't seen it. You didn't say which week-end you were coming. Email me directly if you have any specific Toronto questions and I'll try to answer them.

kate Oct 23rd, 2002 07:37 PM

All of the recommendations mentioned so far are very good ones. One caution - I generally wouldn't recommend hotels East of Yonge in the area south of Bloor and North of King, or on Yonge between Queen and Bloor (but Bloor St East itself is fine). The area isn't particularly dangerous, but it's kind of seedy in places. (Some areas have a lot of character, and interesting restaurants, etc - but it wouldn't be my recommendation for a family visiting Toronto for the first time.) I mention this because there are some low prices for hotels in this area, and you might think "gee, it's just a few blocks away - what difference can that make?"<BR><BR>If your protesting teenager is a girl, take her to the Bata Shoe Museum (Bloor and St George).<BR><BR>And if you like Asian food, check out Pho Hung on Bloor St West (just West of the McDonalds near the ROM, on the second floor) - a great Vietnamese restaurant that's a much more interesting option than the fast food joints on the Bloor Street strip. <BR><BR>You might also want to check out the restaurants in the Annex (an area near the University of Toronto) on Bloor West of Spadina - you'll probably find something that you and your teenager will like.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

gail Oct 25th, 2002 10:18 AM

Tell your protesting teenager that when we dragged our 2 protesting teenagers to Royal Ontario Museum they had a surprisingly good time - they said it was better than museums at home. (Did not seem all that different to me than quality museums in other major world cities, but for some reason they really liked it - I knew better than to argue)

Faina Oct 25th, 2002 02:42 PM

I went to the Royal with my then 17-year-old son who generally hates museums, he went there just so I'd go with him to the Hockey Hall of fame. Guess what - he enjoyed this museum much more then I did although I'm the museums fan. There is another museum across from the Royal, some kind of pottery museum, very interesting - somebody's private collection on display. Shoe museum is well worth visiting.

Croaker24 Oct 26th, 2002 05:09 PM

Thanks for the responses, especially all the tips from Bonnie! Made reservations at the Park Hyatt, for our first visit, seems like we should do it right. Has anyone been to Chinatown in NYC? If so, how does it compare to Toronto's? My daughter is particularly interested in visiting that area. Is it within walking distance of the hotel?