Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Tofino Lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/tofino-lodging-96771/)

Linda Dec 17th, 2000 10:48 AM

Tofino Lodging

We'll be in Tofino in July for 3 or 4 days. Have a list of lodgings including Wickininnish Inn ($260/n), Pacific Sands($190), Middle Beach Lodge($175), Duffin Cove Resort($175). There will be a family of 3 adults. We plan to spend most of our time outdoors. Any suggestions? Have heard the Point Restaurant at the Wick is very hard to get in to if you don't stay there.

elizabeth Dec 18th, 2000 09:10 AM

We stayed at the Wickininnish last May and really enjoyed it - also checked out Middle Beach while we were there - it seemed very nice and for the price difference offers great value. <BR> <BR>Part of the reason we stayed at the Wick was because of the dining room, but frankly it was our least favourite meal in Tofino - there are lots of great restaurants in Tofino and Ucluelet. <BR> <BR>We took a guided tour with a local naturalist - it was well worth it - if you would like his name feel free to e-mail me.

sheri Dec 18th, 2000 09:57 AM

Of those, I'd go for the Middle Beach Lodge (especially if you can get one of their cabins). The Wick is beautiful, but I find it a bit too stuffy for Tofino. The Middle Beach, I think, is a perfect Tofino blend of nice but laid-back. <BR> <BR>Yes, it can be difficult to get into the Pointe if you're not staying at the Wick. You'll probably have to eat early or late. Or you might try calling for last-minute cancellations, as the Inn encourages their guests to make dinner reservations every night, but they don't necessarily go each night. <BR> <BR>I've eaten there several times and the food is marvelous (as is the view), but like the rest of the Wick, I found the restaurant to be over-the-top. I've had much more fun at the casual "West Coast Suppers" the Middle Beach puts on for guests a couple times a week. I also love the Raincoast Cafe in town. <BR> <BR>If you want to splurge on a wonderful dinner, see if Clayoquot Wilderness Resort is offering dinner to non-guests while you're in town. Their chef, Tim May, is amazing. It's about a 20 minute water taxi ride from Tofino to the resort and I believe they only take non-guests for dinner on a space-available basis, but if you can, go!

judy Jan 11th, 2001 07:28 PM

we were in TOfino last June & stayed in a beautiful condo right on Chesterman Beach. It was brand new with top of the line furnishings. 2 bedrooms - one with balcony. Full cooking facilities, washer & dryer. Would highly recommend Price was $175 per night (all tax inc.) Jill ([email protected])

Cindy Jan 26th, 2001 07:38 PM

I don't know if this would appeal to you, but there's a houseboat anchored right near Hotsprings Cove, about half an hour from Tofino by water taxi or you can get there by float plane. It's a really different B&B experience and quite wonderful. I was there last year and loved it. They have a website - it's Innchanter.com.

Lindsay Feb 2nd, 2001 12:52 PM

Take it from a local, Middle Beach Lodge is the the absolute BEST place to stay in Tofino. They have the most incredible cabins and well, all the rooms also are beautiful! The staff is fun, young and professional. The lodge is located right on the water hanging onto a cliff and is set back further from the road than the Wickaninnish Inn is. <BR> <BR>Then go to the RainCoast Cafe for dinner - very modern for Tofino, very adventurous, forget the Pointe!

Terri Jul 10th, 2002 09:13 PM

I've been reading with interest all the response regarding Tofino. My husband and I are planning on being there the first part of Sept. with our 4-year old twin boys. Is the RainCoast a good restaurant to take two preschoolers? In addition, we're staying at the Chesterman Beach B&B. Any thoughts? Thanks.