Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Tofino hotel cancelled reservation! - HELP PLEASE! (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/tofino-hotel-cancelled-reservation-help-please-643248/)

ms_katydid Aug 31st, 2006 02:34 AM

Tofino hotel cancelled reservation! - HELP PLEASE!

It's 4:30 am and I'm desperate. We are headed to Vancouver Island in TWO DAYS and our Tofino hotel just cancelled our reservation. All area hotels are cancelling reservations after Sept. 1 due to water shortage. We were going to stay there for 5 nights and then go to Victoria for a few days. We need to find another place to stay in the area (would prefer something outside of Victoria... water front?). This is in celebration of my mom's 60th birthday, so I want it to be special. She had her heart set on the San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island area. Budget is up to $600 per night for 3 people.

ltt Aug 31st, 2006 07:04 AM

i feel so bad for people who's plans have been cancelled.
you might want to contact bc tourism. i heard on the news this morning that they were making great efforts to find accommodations for everyone who has been turned away from tofino.
they are probably already booked but i would suggest looking at blue vista resort on mayne island. not as magnificant as tofino but very nice.

gannetmusic Aug 31st, 2006 07:30 AM

Check out the Telegraph Cove / Port McNeill area. A good 5 hour drive north of Victoria. Scenic and great whale and wildlife viewing if you enjoy that.

Hidden Cove Lodge is nice -but probably full -you might want to check with them.

April Aug 31st, 2006 07:42 AM

What a mess. I imagine it might be hard finding accommodations with many others stuck in the same situation. Nearby Ucluelet apparently still has water. Or you could try resorts in Parksville on the other side of the island. Not as spectacular as Tofino, but waterfront.

Meesthare Aug 31st, 2006 07:50 AM

I don't know what might be available here, but you might want to try the Sooke area, west of Victoria. We live here and there are lots of waterfront B&Bs. Some of them are really lovely. Having said that, this is, of course, one of the busiest tourist weekends of the year.
You might want to try Point-no-Point Resort. They have a gorgeous location and some very pleasant cabins to stay in. The restaurant is excellent. If we didn't live about 20 minutes away from there, we'd want to stay there ourselves!

NWWanderer Aug 31st, 2006 08:26 AM

How disappointing and I'm sorry you have to deal with this right before your trip! The situation just sounds like such a mess over there.

In addition to the other suggestions you've gotten:

From a quick search online, it looks like Hastings House on Saltspring Island has vacancies at least starting on Saturday. It's a pricey place, but it is very nice for a special occasion (although I'm not sure how many of their rooms/suites will accommodate 3 people).

And since you mention the San Juans as a possibility, you might want to look at www.guidetosanjuans.com as that site has an availaibility calendar for many of the lodgings on the 3 main islands. That will at least give you a starting point.

goldilox Aug 31st, 2006 10:07 AM

I just read that Long Beach Lodge in Tofino is trucking in water to stay open. http://www.longbeachlodgeresort.com/

I had a fabulous dinner there in the spring and took a peek at their rooms (both in the main lodge and the cottages.) The rooms are very nice and well appointed. The staff I had contact with were pleasant and efficient.

Even without the water woes I would recommend it.

But I absolutely would NOT recommend Hastings House. I was extremely disappointed... so much so that it has kept me up at night. In fact, I would say the sheep out front are fitting mascots... I feel I was fleeced! There are probably much better accommodations on Salt Spring Island.

Meesthare Aug 31st, 2006 10:55 AM

From what I can see on their website, Long Beach Lodge is booked for the days that you're going to be there. They may well be trucking in water for the guests that are already registered but I doubt that they're taking any new reservations.

Just curious, goldilox - what was so awful about Hastings House? We used to rent a cottage on Saltspring Island and never bothered with Hastings House; their restaurant was much-touted but I had heard from savvy friends in Vancouver that it wasn't all that great, so we've never checked it out. It sounds pretty bad to have kept you awake at night!

Daydreamer Aug 31st, 2006 11:37 AM

Wow! This is bizarre news! I'm going to have to catch up on what's going on with water shortage.

How long is this anticipated for?
A very dry year, I take it?

Guess that means if we're heading there beginning of October, that the rain gods will probably be making up for this, eh? ;-)

I know how you feel having planned something so special, as I do it too for my mom. When you say $600 for 3 people...do you mean, you need 2 rooms...just one for her & one for you guys?

If so...I checked a few of our faves on the San Juan Islands as they are so wonderful to escape to, too...
and one is entirely booked.

Another has two rooms (that's why I ask) but I don't know how 'active' your Mom is. It's more of a contemporary Northwest place w/kayaking in the morning (very gentle) and beautiful, etc.

Can do that or simply choose not to. But I only see 3 nights there open I think beginning Sept. 3.

Let me know if that appeals at all. It's on Orcas Island which is VERY beautiful!

San Juan Island (easy to get to from Victoria & where many a whale watching group goes FROM Victoria) has a spot we also really enjoy which I always wished I could take my mom too. (but alas travel is too hard for her now at 83)

It's got old world charm....
a variety of unit types. Can email me directly if needing advice on that.
And is festive w/its marina/yachts, etc. Nice dining, too, right there.

And for adventures, there's the whole island. Some of the accomodations are not so special. And some ARE.
It's Roche Harbor on the northside
(where you get late sun & gentle weather) of San Juan Island.

http://rocheharbor.com/

Here is their link but one has to call for availability.

For the most special 'getaway' there...there are Suites which are very nice and feel almost like Honeymoon units to us.

And, there's even a Handicap access one (w/a few discreet bars in it) which is nice too!

Only caveat...they are doing construction there, adding to it significantly so it's not as 'escapist' as it used to be.

How are you getting to Victoria, btw & from where? Vancouver? The states?
Makes a difference on what to recommend I suppose.

But what's nice is you can reserve space on ferry that travels between San Juan Island (Friday Harbor/Washington State Ferries) that takes you to Victoria area. It's only about an hour or a bit longer sailing from there.

Cannot however reserve space to San Juan Island itself if travelling from the states. (but again, if coming from Victoria area per chance...
you might be able to) Good luck!

NWWanderer Aug 31st, 2006 12:02 PM

Wow, I *loved* my stay at Hastings House! It's been a few years but still...I thought it was awesome...very quiet, comfortable and serene, and I remember being particulary impressed by the service--not flashy in the least but they just took good care of you. I would definitely be interested to hear what the problems/issues were.

NWWanderer Aug 31st, 2006 12:16 PM

Oh, and Daydreamer, if you're talking about Spring Bay Inn on Orcas (and it sounds like you are) then Middle Beach in Tofino will definitely be right up your alley!

Daydreamer Aug 31st, 2006 12:33 PM

Yes, NWWanderer...
I Was talking about Spring Bay Inn.
Link here for ms katydid.
springbayinn.com

Photos do NOT do its setting or the house justice. It's truly very unique & a very relaxing getaway. But now that I check it probably does not have enough days open, after all. Sorry!

Btw, meant to say you can also reserve the ferry from Orcas Island to
Sydney/Victoria area, as well.

Any thoughts of a few days on Orcas...followed by a few on
San Juan Island?

I suppose that might feel too hectic.
And we have stayed ourselves even 5 days at Roche Harbor once during glorious weather & it didn't feel like too much. (but we got special rates then...was shoulder season)

If doing 2 islands, could do Orcas first few days (reach it first anyway from Anacortes if coming from there)...
then, Friday Harbor/San Juan.

Then, on for the shorter trip to Victoria. Will you be staying at the Empress or in the Inner Harbor,
ms katydid?

Anyway, back to Orcas....Spring Bay Inn is very peaceful and when we were there last time, a grandmother (a young one no more than 60) was kayaking w/her granddaughter and having a nice time.

It's got a very Northwest feel to it, but is not 'resort' like.

For *that*, Roche Harbor (altho' a bit more rustic than some would like) has more of that.

On Orcas, what could have been its equivalent, but from all reports just doesn't match it is: Rosario.

It's worth a stop for its organ concerts & to just see the setting.

But as far as places to stay on Orcas itself, we prefer either Spring Bay...
or spots near Deer Harbor sometimes. (but I checked and that's booked that whole week) There is a B and B RIGHT on Deer Harbor itself.

Also, well regarded by some is Turtleback Inn. Pretty, pastoral setting vs. a water setting. Easy to find on the web if you're considering Orcas at all.

Oooo...and one more that IS elegant & has nice antiques & very refined breakfasts, etc. etc is
The Inn on Orcas Island, very close to Deer Harbor. (situated next to a small wetland)

Here is their link.
http://theinnonorcasisland.com/

Might appeal to your mom's tastes, depending on what she's more like. Casual/contemporary & very nature-oriented...Spring Bay Inn.

Art galleries & whatnot...
The Inn on Orcas Island.
You didn't mention which place you were staying in Tofino...so not sure of your tastes.

Anyway, the Inn on Orcas is fairly new, so not known by many, so you MAY be able to find availability there.
Check out its cottage, for instance.

Lastly, if heart set on Tofino, then, try Ucluelet. From what I hear, not as polished as Tofino, but same scenery close-by. But I'm sure many are trying that so you'd need to get on phones asap! (search threads here for Ucluelet accomodation recommendations & check Tripadvisor.com too)

ms_katydid Aug 31st, 2006 01:10 PM

Thanks so much for all of your help. We are considering changing our flights, and so we could head to Seattle or Vancouver (and not spend more on airfare). My mom is really active, loves nature, but also likes a little bit of "posh", and that's why we were plannin on Tofino. I feel so bad for the people who live there. Having lived in a desert, water shortages aren't nice. I just wish we would have known sooner. We had a reservation at Long Beach Lodge... Now I wish we never changed it to Pacific Sands. Oh well. No use crying over that.

I am busy looking into all of your suggestions and appreciate them. We were booked in a villa at Pacific Sands for a week. We'd like two rooms, but that could be impossible. At this point, our budget is rapidly increasing.

NWWanderer Aug 31st, 2006 02:02 PM

Just another thought...maybe a vacation house in the San Juans would be a possibility. I just took a quick look at the rental agency recommended by Conde Nast Traveler for the San Juans and it looks like they have some decent looking houses available for next week, so you might have a look and see if there's anything that strikes your fancy:

http://www.windermerevacationrentals.com/

Daydreamer Aug 31st, 2006 03:12 PM

Katydid...
Victoria can be reached readily from
either Seattle or the San Juans OR Vancouver, so don't have to sweat too much where you fly into. (or pay any change fees...avoid that if you can) :-)

And likewise, all can be reached from each other, alright.

Re: the lodging...I found a few articles that said some lodging places were playing things by ear. So...I wonder...is it worth pursuing a little bit more with your original place booked? (to see if any are softening on their plan to close?)

'Course if limited on using water, not easy for travel either. (if they are open...altho' not everyone needs to shower every day per se)

Ucluelet really is supposed to have some decent lodging options too...
so I don't think you'd feel like your whole trip changed so much, if you consider something like that.

Plus, there are several B & B's that have been recommended here...or could be in Tofino & close to other lodges like Long Beach, etc.....
perhaps those don't have issues w/taking guests since water rationing only applies to lodging. (and perhaps not B & B's since they are *almoost* like residential)

Check again under TripAdvisor.com for ideas of places (enter Tofino in there & you'll get a list) that are B&B's there.

But I suppose being Labor Day wknd doesn't help in general. (altho' some of your days run well past that...so maybe you'll have some luck?)

Is her b-day to be in Victoria? If not, could possibly flip Victoria first...and maybe by the time you're ready for Tofino...more of its lodging places will be ready for YOU? :-)
Just a thought. Good luck!

If I were you...I'd tell my tale to wherever you booked in Victoria & they may have some pity & do what they can to find you space first. (on alternate days) You never know. :-)

Meesthare Aug 31st, 2006 04:38 PM

We just watched the local Vancouver Island news, and apparently a local businessman is prepared to spend a whack of money to truck in potable water to fill up Tofino's reservoir. This would mean that the hotels are once again able to honour reservations. There is supposed to be a town council meeting later this evening, so if I were you I would try to get in touch with your hotel and make sure they intend to call people when/if the situation changes.

ms_katydid Aug 31st, 2006 07:49 PM

Called the hotel in Tofino. They told me about the shipped water they plan to put in storage tanks, but they would be closed until at least Monday. We are trying to stay in Victoria first (as Daydreamer suggested), and perhaps still go to Tofino after that. I will check back with them tomorrow though. You all have had great suggestions, but at this point, we are also seriously looking at going somewhere closer to home to celebrate her birthday and save Tofino for another time. It was the main reason we wanted to visit Vancouver Island, and I'm afraid we'll be disappointed if we go all the way up there and don't get to visit that special place (even though there are lots of other great places to see). You know what it's like when you have your heart set on something :-(
You all have been super though. THANKS!!!!!

Daydreamer Aug 31st, 2006 07:54 PM

Katydid...found out Middle Beach is also staying open this weekend...will check later to see if any openings. I called them re: our own dates later this Fall. But didn't have time to fully check our own, as we're having a very late dinner. Will be calling them later. I'll check for you, as it would be a very worthwhile option, and you wouldn't even need to switch the order of things maybe.

Hang in there...and I hope you'll even see this, as I don't have an email to send this directly to you.

bowen Aug 31st, 2006 11:31 PM

You should check out Tofino Beach Homes - vacation rentals. Not a hotel -more self-catering type accommodations, but they have some very luxurious looking condos waterfront and/or view vacation rental properties (minimum 2 night stays) - their website is tofinobeach.com

Meesthare Sep 1st, 2006 08:20 AM

Our morning newspaper (Victoria Times-Colonist) advises that they have found a solution to the problem and hotels will remain open this weekend. Hopefully katydid has been in touch with her hotel and this has been confirmed.