Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tips for the West Coast and reviews of Moose Travel Network please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am travelling to Canada at the end of July/beginning of August, spending 2 and a half weeks on the East coast before flying to Vancouver on 28th July for 11 days. I have a rough itinerary sorted for my time on the East Coast but need a bit of help deciding how to spend the limited time I have on the West Coast...

I was thinking of going to Banff and Lake Louise as part of a tour but can't decide how to spend the remainder of my time - this will only equal around 3 days but am deliberating between spending a bit of extra time in Vancouver and maybe going over to Victoria for a day or 2 or I could go to Whistler. What would people recommend? Alternatively I wouldn't mind getting a few days relaxing on a nice beach, would this be realistic in this time frame and if so where would be good to go. I will be travelling on public transport so am a little limited...

My other question is in regards to the Moose Travel Network. I am a 26 year old female travelling alone and was thinking of doing the Vancouver-Banff section of my trip as part of a Moose travel trip, has anyone been on one of these and would they recommend them for a young solo traveller looking to make some friends?! Also do most people stick to the exact itinerary of the trips (time frame/nights spent in each location) or do most people spend extra nights in different places along the way?

Any suggestions of fun and sociable hostels to stay in along the way would also be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 04:03 AM

I really don't know anything about the Moose Travel Network, but will try to give you something and bring this up to the top.

The big issue that I do see is with the Banff portion. First, this isn't on the West Coast, but quite some distance away. At best it's a very long travel day from Vancouver to Banff (we normally break it into 2 days). Your estimate of 3 days would mean only a single day in the park - not worth the trip in the last. You would need to plan on more time for this.

With limited time for the West Coast, you could concentrate on Vancouver and maybe a side trip to Victoria. Now, the Pacific Northwest is not at all what I would consider "relaxing on a nice beach" country. But that might depend on where you are from. The shorelines are absolutely gorgeous, lots of craggy rocks and evergreens. There is a beach area in Vancouver that attracts locals in good weather, but it wouldn't count as a destination for me.

Hope this is a start.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Hello

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I didn't explain very well in my first post, I have assigned 8 days to the Banff portion of my trip which will leave me with 3 days to spend around Vancouver.

In this remaining 3 days (having already been to Banff) I am deciding between spending some time in Victoria, venturing up to whistler or just spending some extra time in Vancouver and was wondering which area people would recommend?

I will only have 1 day and 2 nights in Vancouver if I decide to visit either whistler or Victoria and was wondering if people would suggest forgetting about whistler and Victoria and instead spending more time in Vancouver? Or if they are more worth seeing? All suggestions welcome

Happy with wild rugged beaches, not looking for a beach holiday but a nature and countryside one but was just thinking I might like some down time at the end of the trip!

Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 06:25 AM

Ah, good on Banff then.

I'd suggest you skip Whistler, especially after seeing Banff. By comparison, it won't be very impressive, and Vancouver deserves your time.

As to what to do in Vancouver - it's a beautiful, compact, walkable city. Stanley Park should be on your list (the beach is around there too); you can rent a bike, walk along the sea wall. Here is a link: http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation...nley-park.aspx

There's just so much to do and see, and the public transportation system is excellent (try the water taxis) - this is a very helpful site and will give you a good picture of Vancouver as well: http://www.hellobc.com/vancouver.aspx

Granville Island is a fun visit: http://granvilleisland.com/public-market I could go on, but check the HelloBC website.

Victoria - with the time you have, skip it. Just getting there and back, with the ferries, takes a day and would only give you a few hours, really. Time better spent in Vancouver.

Better?
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

That's great, thanks so much for your help and suggestions. I think I will follow your advice and spend my extra days exploring Vancouver and give whistler and Victoria a miss.

Those websites were really useful and I look forward using them to plan my time further!

Thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 05:06 AM

Great! I didn't mention it, but if you find yourself wanting to get out of town a bit, there is always North Vancouver (across the water, you'll be looking back across at downtown). Again, public transportation (water taxi, bus). That will give you Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, etc.

Enjoy.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 05:23 AM
ltt

plenty to see in vancouver in just three days. banff is great...whistler wouldn't be worth the cost, imo and going to vancouver island deserves more time then you have.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 05:25 AM
ltt

meant to say that i have heard great things about the moose travel network system (with the exception that they play music non-stop on their trips, which would drive me nuts). sound's like a great way to get around especially for a solo traveller.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice, it sounds like the best thing to do is definitely to give a bit more time to exploring Vancouver in more detail rather then trying to fit in more then I have time for!

I'm very glad to hear good things about the moose network and I'm sure I can love with some loud music but will invest in some earplugs just in case!
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:26 PM

I've only heard good things about the Moose Network. About their music - I remember reading about one passenger who said the music wasn't loud or blaring, but occasionally they'd hook up people's iPods to the speakers and would listen to music mixes to break up the time. I'm sure if music's an issue, you can just ask the bus driver for a break. Usually for those small tour groups, the passengers are usually in control of the music, when/what to listen to, etc. I used to work for a similar company in 2008 (who eventually merged with the Moose Network), where the guides and the passengers would have a good rapport. I wouldn't let the music be a worry.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:39 AM

Have checked the Moose Travel Network website a few times and there are dead links, one cannot add an email to their mail list, it bounces right back. It gave me goosebumps as there are so many fly-by-nights out there. Trying to find a tour for my niece who will travel to Vancouver then wants to use this travel business to get to see Banff & Jasper. If anyone has additional info. That would be great. Their (Moose Travel) prices are better than Contiki, but still wondering, Thanks for any help here.
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:52 AM

28 , young, single? Just hang in Vancouver. So much fun, street life, Granville Island, English Bay, the sea wall. You will love the vibe. Victoria is okay but overated. Banff will give you all the mountain activities you need to compete with Whistler( which is BTW phenominal in winter for skiing)so skip it.