tipping rules for tourpackages

Aug 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

tipping rules for tourpackages

I have booked a tour package, consisting of a guided boat tour, accommodation and transportation. The captain of the boat is also the owner. Transportation is included and will be provided by floatplane.

Do I have to tip the captain (owner) of the ship or floatplane pilot?
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:56 PM

I would say No owner/operators are never tipped, employees Yes if the service is outstanding.

Ditto pilots-they are very well paid and I have never tipped a pilot, if it was a rough flight and he did a good job I always am sure to Thank him personally.

Aug 20th, 2007, 09:15 AM
ltt

would like opinions. paid for an all inclusive three day white water rafting trip that included 3 days of rafting, restaurant food (we tipped according the wait staff) and accommodations at the (high end)campground that we returned to each night. we had the same guide on our rafting all three days. would you have tipped and if so, how much? thanks.
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Sam_Salmon, let me take issue with your assertion that pilots are well paid. That airline pilots are well paid when compared to other jobs, I will agree...but air taxi pilots such as the float plane pilot who will be taking this trip are far from well paid. A goodly number have taken the air taxi job solely as a means of logging the flight hours necessary to get an airline interview, and are in the peanut-butter-sandwich/macaroni-and-cheese category. Fifteen dollars an hour would be an average rate.

Been there, done that, when the average was ten dollars an hour.

Having said that, in over 7000 hours of general aviation flight time I was tipped twice. I hope tom22 is generous with the floatplane pilot.

Search this Thread