Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

The trip to Victoria and Vancouver is slowly coming together!!

Apr 12th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am sure I will have so many questions over the next month or so. Getting excited about my trip!

I'm currently planning to fly into Seattle on the Friday night, spend most of the next day at Boeing Field touring the museum, and then a local pilot is going to fly me to Victoria. (weather permitting - if not, I will use one of the boats to get there).

I plan to spend Sat night- Tues night in Victoria and explore the area. I haven't decided if I need to rent a car on Vancouver Island or not. I do plan to hike, bike, horseback ride, go flying, and also do some boating to the little islands. I don't know how far afield, yet, from Victoria I will go and if I will need a car to do so.

Wednesday I will head to Vancouver. Sunday following I will fly home.

I haven't filled in the blanks yet on much else. No hotels yet and no real details on things to see and do - I just have a loose idea of what I want to do based on some readings.

any comments welcome (I know I don't have any real questions, yet).

thanks!
Apr 12th, 2005, 04:03 PM

If you don't rent a car, you will hike - a lot.
Without a car, how do you plan on getting around?
Apr 12th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

public transport?
Apr 12th, 2005, 04:57 PM

"If you don't rent a car, you will hike - a lot."
LOL!!!You betcha!
For access to trail heads and parks public transport is almost nonexistent.
Apr 12th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

I plan to do some "boatseeing" one day among the little islands. Go flying on another day.

That leaves me one day for everything else - on Vancouver Island, that is.

Is a car completely necessary? Given that I will only have one full day after I do the other two things (Sun-Tues are my full days) I may end up using my free time to explore Victoria. How far away is Butchart Gardens?

If I gotta get a car, I'm not too concerned - but I may only need it one day.
Apr 13th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

I just figured out the Vancouver Jazz fest is around that time so I may end up doing my plans backwards. and shortening Vancouver by one day and extending Vancouver Island by another day. In which case, looks like I am getting a car! Presumably I won't need it in Vancouver at all though, so I'd likely pick it up the morning after I arrive in Victoria for 4 days.
Apr 13th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Hi flygirl, you will love Vancouver Island, it is very diverse..even with your limited time it is possible to see many different things..my parents have a condo overlooking the Inner Harbor and in one afternonn we drove just in that area to GoldStream, which is a forest area you can hike etc and to Mt. Doug which is a climb that will lead to an awesome view...only a few min drive between. Then we spent an afternoon walking around town of course to the museum, shops, etc. The Gulf Islands around there are really beautiful...the people, the fresh food and flowers everywhere, the land, it so refreshing and pleasant, Have a Great time !!
Apr 13th, 2005, 11:13 AM

You will certainly love the Gulf Islands, but without a rental car, all you will see is the ferry dock on each island. You'll really need a car to get around. That's pretty much true of Vancouver Island as well, although there is a train that runs from Victoria to Courtenay ( the E & N Railroad).
Apr 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

thanks! so I should get a car for the whole trip, regardless? and plan to ferry it around?

thank you for the info!
Apr 13th, 2005, 01:53 PM

there is public transport to butchart gardens regularly.

but with a car you will have much more freedom to go to the out of way spectacular places that make this so special.
Apr 17th, 2005, 12:53 PM

I would get a car for at least the day you go to Butcharts. That way you can take the scenic waterfront drive from Victoria through the Uplands neighbourhood, up to the top of Mt. Doug as mentioned above and hike up to the viewpoint (short walk), then carry on along on the backroads to Butcharts. Better get a map, although you can't get too lost on an island. Then you could return on the other side of the highway.

As to whether to take a car on the ferries or not, that is a question I wrestle with every time I travel between the island and mainland and I still don't have a good answer! In this instance, assuming you would be going from Seattle to Vancouver, I think I would take the bus/ferry or float plane to Victoria, then rent a car.
Apr 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Sounds like you will have a wonderful trip!

If you decide to rent a car, have you considered driving north from Victoria, to Nanaimo. From there you can get the Gulf Island ferries, and also the ferry to Horseshoe Bay (West Vancouver). From there it is an easy 20 minute drive into downtown Vancouver.

Just a thought.
Apr 18th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

thank you April and Sohara!

April, I may not go to Chilcotin this summer after all. I figure I only have 8 or so days, and I've added one day in Seattle to this to see the Boeing Museum of Flight and also have dinner with a friend. Plus the Jazz Fest in Vancouver... so it's looking more like 3 days in Vancouver area, 4 days in Victoria and environs, and then to Seattle for a day then home the next morning.

I can't wait though! I just have a feeling I won't want to leave. It looks stunning out there!

I do plan to fly while I am out there, too. have to arrange that as well.
Apr 18th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Hi Flygirl!

As you know, I have just moved to Victoria (the best kept secret in the whole world) and you already know more about the Island than I do! Iíve only managed to get as far as the Costco store in Langford! For the last few months, when I havenít been traveling, I have been supervising renovations.

The Buchart Gardens are wonderful and only a 20 minute drive from my home. I will try to be there when you are there and if I am there, Iíll drive you.

Do you want me to check out hiring a car on the Island?

How are you getting there from Vancouver? There is the ferry (B has taken it a few times Ė there is a bus to and from both city centres (no need for a car)), the AC flight from Van International (about 20 mins on a De Havilland prop, which is what I normally do), a sea-plane (which I think you would love) and I THINK there is a helicopter. I will find out more.

I am travelling in Europe at the moment, but will be back in Victoria later this week. I will get some information for you from the tourist office and send it to you. Can you post a list of questions to ask at the Tourist office, I will get you the information and post it here.

Best regards Ger
Apr 18th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

thank you Ger! I think I emailed you to let you know I've completely flipped the trip around - Vancouver first to see the Jazz Fest and then by Monday late afternoon be in Victoria.

Not sure if I want to fly or sail b/w the mainland and the island, I hear the sailing is gorgeous and if I do get a car for a one day trip out of Vancouver... but if I wait til Victoria for the car I will likely fly. floatplanes for sure! how fun.

I guess mainly I want to fly, boat, horseback ride at least once, hike and bike. and check out the museums. and go shopping of course!

only 9 more weeks, wow.
Apr 18th, 2005, 06:45 PM

re:The Jazz Fest.
Read the lineup carefully.
It's been my experience that many of the artists @ the JF are on a 'festival circuit'.
By all means attend if someone unique and special to you is playing but it's been my experience that most of the mainstream JF acts pale against the grandeur and wonder of BC scenery.
It's your call.
Apr 18th, 2005, 11:35 PM

I wasn't able to post here earlier, so we'll see if this works. Not to complicate the issue, but it's too bad you can't fit in a visit to the Tofino area while on the island. Barring that I would drive along Howe Sound on the mainland.

Yes, OReilly, there is the Helijet but it lands in a slightly less convenient part of Victoria (Ogden Pt.) and I don't know about you Flygirl but I'm not crazy about helicopters.
Apr 19th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sam and April!

I will at most spend part of one day at the Jazz Fest - by no means all weekend! I just figured it was a good thing to try to aim for, and it really doesn't matter the order I go - Vancouver first or Victoria. I am sure there will be at least some strolling time in Vancouver so that would be a nice thing to take in one day.

April, good thoughts, I do plan on a car for at least the island so any comments appreciated! I think I will find this trip too short. sigh.

Apr 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Hopefully the local pilot will take you on a little sightseeing tour while they're at it.