Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hotel called one king west in Toronto

hi
this may seem a silly question ,but here goes
the one king west hotel used to be a bank
http://www.onekingwest.com/hotel/history/#bank.

would a bank of that size have apartments above it in the 1920's?and if so would it be for bank employees only ?
my reason for the question is i have been researching my mothers family tree .
my mother as a young girl in 1928 traveled to Canada with her sister,uncle and aunt and on the ships records it states the address that her other aunt lived at and they were going to be staying at was
the,
"Dominion Bank building corner of king street Toronto"
of course when i searched for that address i found the hotel,as we are hoping to visit Toronto we would love to stay in the same building as my mum had when she was only 3years old and newly arrived in Canada .
i am at lost how to find out if this is the same building,so this is a long shot .
there was no apartment number on the ships papers just the above as the address
thankyou Liz
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM

I have stayed at One King West and can confirm that the base of the Hotel is the Bank constructed as part of the rebuild in the early 20th century... only the basement vault and lobby remain for hotel guests access... the new hotel is ultra-modern and offers short and long term rentals with great views... Your aunts apartment and living quarters are long gone... except for a wander through the lobby, and the possibility of a molecule of 1928 air being left to share, nothing remains of the old... It is a great place to stay and if you believe in energy, go for it!
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM

I should mention that there are also residences in the old building base that are converted from the bank offices... the additional floors were removed..
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 06:17 AM
LJ

It was the habit of banks in the UK (or at least in Scotland where my personal experience took place) to have residences for the bank's chief officer above the 'shop' so to speak.

As a small child in the early 1920's, my Mum visited Great Uncle Harry in a small town in Scotland and stayed with the family in his apartment above his office in the bank. I would think that the arrangement might have been a bit like the minister and the manse, an economic one. If small towns were to lure people of learning, like pastors and bank officials, they had to provide housing.

But I don't know whether this would likely have been the case in the Toronto of the 20's...it is possible that they retained some sort of accomodation for visiting employees.

But it seems more likely that your family simply used the address of their bank (which would have certainly had UK connections) as a registration for mail and so forth in their new life? Downtown Toronto was already pretty much built up in those days with streetcars and so forth as my copies of old photography books suggests.

BAK is a bit of a history buff, maybe he will know about this and chime in?
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:25 AM

I think that LJ's suggestion that the Dominion Bank building was a forwarding address is the most probable. This was the headquarters of a large national bank and it is likely that the building was filled with the bank offices. Although I wasn't around in the 1920s, I did grow up in Toronto a few decades later and I have no recollection of there being any residences or apartment buildings in the downtown business area.

As a suggestion, you might check a Toronto City Directory for that era. I believe they can be found on-line.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM

I don't know if it will be any help to you but here's the website for the City of Toronto archives. Maybe you can find out more about the building here.

http://www.toronto.ca/archives/
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Bank staff did live above quarters in small branches in residential neighbourhoods years ago but, as noted by laverendrye, I doubt that anyone lived upstairs from that branch.

Good suggestion to search the city directories - I've traced a lot of my family using them - if not online, they're on the shelves at the reference library on Yonge Street, a block north of Bloor. You can search by name and by address. http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca - you need a library card to search online.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi
Thank you all for your answers; it makes sense that my Great uncle collected money from my Greatx2 Aunt’s bank. Looking at the ships paperwork my uncle arrived first, and around eight weeks later his wife and two niece’s (my mum and aunt) arrived and the address on their paper work was “45 Anne street Youge street Toronto” We believe the aunt in Canada paid their fare over from Scotland,after the children's parents died , so that would make sense .I had not thought of that!
I will check out all the links and, try and have a look at Toronto City directory .we are still planning a trip next spring or summer to Canada so by then I may of pinned down a couple of sites to visit.
My mum always spoke of Canada and told tales of the bears coming to the cabin they lived in, we as a family remember her speaking of a place called Silverthorne.
Would Canada in the 1920’s/1930’s still had bears roaming around or was that maybe, just a tall tale!! We all thought it was but would never say that to her.
Anyway thank you all so much .we may still stay at the one west hotel as it looks like a nice hotel. Is it a good place to stay when you want to visit Toronto?
Thank you Liz
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Very nice hotel... good location... they also have a classic car service that will drop you off in downtown... we took it to dinner...
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 06:40 AM
LJ

I think the Anne Street you refered to no longer exists. There is an Ann Street in Port Credit/Mississauga, a sort of distant suburb of Toronto, but it is no where near Yonge Street (you will want to note that spelling if you are seeking out old directories).

Silverthorne is a pretty common name...it was the name of my doctor here in TO when I was a little kid in the 50's.

As to the bears story...if you went far enough north you would have seen bears, but not in downtown TO! However, it was very common for families, my own included, in those days to take the train to Muskoka, cottage country, and bears would have been part of the scenery for sure. Maybe Silverthorne was a lodge or cottage they rented and saw bears?
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Possible there was an area of Toronto called Silverthorne years ago - I'm on the fourth floor of the ref library right now and could look up names if gleaner is reading this. I'll surf around and check back before giving up this computer.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Well, I did it anyway - researched that is:

Silverthorn was a suburban village: a suburb 5 miles northwest of Toronto City Hall, around, I think, present day St. Clair and Dupont/Keele areas or maybe further north to Eglinton.

45 Ann Street, was off Yonge on the east side, one block south of Carlton which makes it Granby Street, I think - in the city directories it was Ann, on the fire maps, it was Anne. I wonder why they changed it - most streets in the area are the same names todays.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 09:39 AM

The computer at the library signed me off...so to continue:

In 1921, William J. Merchant lived at 45 Ann St., no occupation.

1922 - Emerson H. Berlett, also no occupation.

1923 - William Gearing, he was a checker at Massey-Harris.

In 1924, Mrs. Jane Hazell lived there.

1925 till 1927 - Frank C. Weaver is the occupant, he was first listed as a pianist, then an elevator operator at Eaton's (a department store).

1928 - 1929 - Mrs. Annie Roberts, widow of Joseph

Then I jumped to 1934 - no 45 Ann Street but numbers 37 to 47 are listed as a rooming house.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
LJ

Sally: you are a super -sleuth...I had no idea all this was a matter of public record...how very fascinating: I hope this will be of some assistance to gleaner...still hard to believe there were bears that far into the city: I think that may be a tall tale!
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Wow!!! Sally... great job! I'm glad no one knows who I am... Sally might publish my dirty laundry... There have been some nights exiting the Pubs in Toronto that I swear I've seen Bears.... I may have even slept with a few in my younger days... nuff said (Sally might uncover my Cubs)
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM

The city directories start around 1840s - I've spent hours finding out where generations of my father's family lived from 1860 on; looked up a couple of addresses today on my mother's side.

I don't believe the bear story either except in garyt22's case, of course. That has the ring of truth to it!

Took a walk after the ref library to 45 Granby Street, formerly Ann, and I would say it is the same house gleaner's mother stayed in, tarted up but the bricks to me look old.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 06:21 AM

Now I hope gleaner has a look at this thread again - I'd like to know if Annie Roberts is the Aunt who paid for the family's passage to Canada.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 06:43 AM
LJ

Sally: there are times when Fodor's is SO unsatisfying...like now...I really do hope Gleaner comes back but some never do (sigh...)but the rest of us have enjoyed the ride and sharing your research expertise has given me ideas!
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Wow and thank you everyone
I am amazed at the amount of information that Sally came up with, but sadly we at present cannot place an Annie or a Joseph Roberts.
We are now going to have a look at my great uncles family and see if he had any Annie’s or Joseph’s. Fingers crossed.
However it is great to know that the house could still be there and a must to visit when we come to Canada.(and get plenty of photos )
We always thought the bears may have been a tall story, my dad was great at telling them, so mum must of got in on the act too.
Mind you my Great uncle was an engineer and reportedly worked on a logging camp at some stage so maybe that was up north (I just want to believe my mum’s story really) although I liked Gary’s theory .
So at present it is still a mystery as to their movements in Canada, I know that my mum travel on the SS Letitia in August 1928 and they returned to Scotland abroad the SS Athenia in June 1933 as my great Aunt Jessie was not well and missed her home land.
However my Great Aunt Agnes Wilson Sim (Sim was her maiden name) stayed in Canada and the family lost contact with her over the years, so that was the aunt I was expecting to find living at Ann street and it was Agnes that paid my mum and her sister fare after their parents died.
So I will carry on searching for my great uncles family to see if I can find Annie or Joseph. If I do find the link, I will let you know.
Another question, how easy is it to find 45 Granby Street, formerly Ann, as we will be hiring a car and really would love to see the area, I expect we will be staying in Toronto, probably the one king west hotel.
Thanks Liz
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:24 AM
LJ

Granby street is an easy walk from your hotel, right in the downtown core, near the old Maple Leaf Gardens.
Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -