Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Executive Motor Hotel or Strathcona Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 02:34 PM
Duke

We've been advised to change our hotel reservations from the Super 8 in Scarborough. Now what do we do? We're not the richest people in the world, but of the information available to us, we came up with a couple of possibilities. <BR>The two we came up with are: <BR>Executive Motor Hotel, 621 King St. W <BR>or <BR>Strathcona Hotel, 60 York St. <BR> <BR>Which of those would you recommend? Or is there one or more we've overlooked? <BR>We would like to keep the price around $70 U.S. per night for 2 adults and 1 child. Keep in mind-- we would like to be fairly close (walking distance preferred)to CN Tower, Skydome and Hockey Hall of Fame. <BR>If you have trouble posting to this site, please e-mail me as soon as possible at [email protected] Thank you for any help you might be able to give.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 06:57 AM
Brian Kilgore

I toldyou to scrap the Super 8. I went to see it yesterday. It took me half an hour from the CN Tower, in very light traffic. It's too far away, Although the motel itself looked nice enough. <BR>Your budget is very low for Toronto; this is a big time fancy tourist city, and it is summer time. If you can find another $20 per night, you'll inprove your life style considerably. <BR>The Strathcona is right next to the Royal York Hotel, and about a five minute walk to the CN Tower, the Hockey Hall of Fame, etc. it's "European style" in the sense of central-city railway hotels. Probably clean, not fancy at all, and should be OK. The Executive is a few blocks too far to walk to anywhere very interesting, but it's quite central. Multi-story "courtyard-style" motel with parking in front. It's popular with low-end exhibitors at the local fair who need a central place to stay; travelling salesmen watching their pennies, etc. See ifyou can find the Hotel Victoria in your guide books; also the Comfort Inn chain. <BR>BAK

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 06:59 PM
Sherri

Brian <BR> Do you think Bond Place, Venture <BR>Inn-(Avenue Rd) or Quality Inn on <BR>Bloor might work for them in their <BR>price range? <BR> How bout a B & B? <BR>Sherri <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 12:36 AM
Leo

<BR>Hello Duke, you can try the "Day's Inn Downtown. I visited it last year and i paid about $Cdn.80 for it, so this hotel should be a good alternative for you. <BR>The hotel is good, and in the heart of Toronto. <BR>Good luck, Leo.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 08:55 PM
Donna

Am completely bemused as to why you post inquiries but, apparently, ignore all advice? Book a room at the Victoria or the Bond Place. First choice, Bond, if you're driving in, for the parking convenience and price. Both are well located, economical (CHEAP for Tornoto), and convenient to all public transportation. Or, the Strathcona if you are determined to walk (it's closer but not real close) to the sights mentioned, but it is not as nice or comfortable as the other two. Surely you won't mind the price of a subway/bus token.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 07:08 AM
BrianKilgore

I'm not sure the Ventuire Inn is still a Venture Inn. I think it may have become a Howard Johnson's, and I'm not sure what standards HJ now has. I used to ork for HJ when it first opened in Canad, but properties seem to be coming downmarket very rapidly. <BR>The Quality Inn on Bloor is part of the "Choice" group I sugggested, and would be my first for myself, if I was visiting on a budget. And Bond Place is fine, too. <BR>BAK <BR>