Thankyou Judy in Calgary

Jul 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou Judy in Calgary

and all the others for sharing your information and knowledge this past year. We are finally leaving tomorrow for Glacier NP, Waterton, Bannf, Jasper and Golden. Golden for the convenience of a place to stay after stopping at Yoho etc when we leave Jasper. Also doing a day trip from there to Canada's Glacier NP.

We ae also spending two nights in Claresholm so we don't have to rush things while in Waterton, and have a full day for the other attractions in the area.

For a change of scenery on the return trip, we'll be going through SK and taking rte 39 out of Moose Jaw into ND.

Jul 26th, 2005, 11:44 PM

I agree!! Thank you to Judy, bob brown, and all the other kind folks for all their valuable information and insight on the Banff/Lake Louise Area.
I the only thing I regret learning is that the Moraine Lake Lodge is a zoo with a sea of tourists! We have reserved four nights there and it's too late to try and stay somewhere else even if we could get a refund! I hope we will be able to relax there and enjoy the scenery. And we decided to stay there in hopes of avoiding the hordes of tourists at the Fairmont Banff Springs!
Any advice on how to avoid the crowds at Moraine Lake? Any reassurance that it won't be that bad?
Jul 27th, 2005, 05:40 AM

hyacinthcourt2, don't worry. The crowds really dwindle after late afternoon and the area is spectacular. You will love it.
Jul 27th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Claresholm is on the "flat prairie" but there are some attractions that you can visit while there.

Don't miss Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump and if you wish to drive about an hour, the Frank Slide and Lundbreck Falls are worth the time.

Have a wonderful vacation!
Aug 6th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

We arrived back in Virginia on Thursday and had a fantastic time. When we left Glacier NP, we went on to Waterton did the sightseeing things while waiting for Tea at the Prince of Wales hotel. The Tea was a memorable experience, and the food served and service was excellent.

After that we pretty much followed the 2004 posts of Judy and Patenik2.

We stayed two nights at the charming and squeeky clean Bluebird Motel in Claresholm which enabled us to visit the Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump and the RCMP museum in Lethbridge.

On to Canmore where we stayed at the Drake Inn. Had an end room on the second floor with front and side views of the river. A really nice place to stay. Johnston Canyon was one of our favorites, but a heel bonespur stated acting up so it was slow going. The next day walking up to the Lake Agnes teahouse was even slower, but we were determined to do it and we did. A lot of stopping to catch our breath as we neared the top, but it was worth it for the tea and apple crumb when we got there. The other favorite in the area was a drive on route 93 to Radium Hot Springs and back. The vistas along the highway were incredible. It was about the midway point that we had to stop as a cub was leading its mother across the road.

On to Jasper and the Pine Cabins. We had a nice stay there also. Clean and plenty of room. With utensils, frying pan etc. we opted to have our breakfasts there and bought bacon and eggs in town. Our favorite site there was Angel Glacier, but of course, all the rest was great also.

We did the Yoho things on the way to Golden and continued to be impressed with everything around us. The next day we went to Revelstroke, and Revelstroke National Park. That too was a favorite of ours. DW was thrilled because all the wild flowers were in bloom.

So thanks again for helping us have a great trip. We saw too many things to list them all.
Aug 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM

So glad you had a good time, ronkala. Congratulations on reaching Lake Agnes Teahouse inspite of the bonespur. Thank you for the report.
Aug 7th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I just wanted to second that "Thank You!" to Judy. We're heading for Banff this September (well, Victoria-Tofino-Okanagan area-Nelson-Banff-Vancouver) and I have been collecting all the threads with your great advice. I don't know where you find the time (or the energy!), but your itineraries, research and perspectives are far superior to any guidebooks I have read. Just sign me An Admirer