thanksgiving in canada, please help

Jun 25th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Carrie

thanksgiving in canada, please help

Hi there, my fiance' and I are travelling to Vancouver from October 14-16 and just found out that day is Thanksgiving for Canada. How do the Candians celebrate this holiday? Will the hotels book up faster, and will businesses be closed? Thanks in advance

Jun 25th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Melissa

With the exception of football, I think we celebrate the same. We get together, have turkey, etc. I would book hotels early

Jun 25th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Robyn

Thanksgiving in Canada is more like a holiday celebrating autumn and the harvest season. Canadians don't celebrate the landing of the Mayflower and pilgrims for instance, but essentially, the idea of saying thanks and the traditional Thanksgiving food is the same (turkey dinner, pumpkin pie).

In Canada it's not as big a deal than it is in the USA... assuming that's where you're originally from. In the USA they celebrate it more like a second Christmas. In Canada, less so.

Jun 25th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Cindy

Be aware that some businesses will, in fact, be closed - banks and post offices, for example. A lot of stores will be open but some may not be. However, that will only affect the Monday; it will be business as usual for the rest of the weekend.

Search this Thread