HELP revamping Nova Scotia trip due to illness

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone....need help trying to revamp.
We were suppose to be driving around Nova Scotia today (Sept 30) but a few hours before our flight out on Sunday I had to cancel plans due to this horrible cold/virus I got. Our bags are still packed and sitting in our living room and We are trying to salvage some of our plans. Trying to leave this saturday Oct 4 and returning Sun Oct 11.

We were going to try to drive from Philadelphia are up to Nova Scotia but after checking out times and road we said forget that idea. I did find a good price for a flight into Boston (all the other locations at this point pricing is way too high) and then thinking about renting a car and driving from there to St. John NB and then over to NS and head up to Cape Breton. Cutting out a lot of what we had originally had planned for 2 weeks now trying to get some things in 1 week.

Has anyone done the drive from Boston to St. John? It looks like it is about 7 hours? Is there a better suggestion on getting to Nova Scotia from Boston?

And what would be top suggestions for the short amount of time we now have.

We are hikers and want to do at least a few hikes while we are there. Mostly outdoors people. But would still like to get to Halifax for a short time. We wanted to do the cape and come down around Peggy's Cove but not sure time wise that is doable.

Thanks for any suggestions. I feel like I am starting all over again from scratch with airlines, car rentals, credit cards, phones etc.

Would like to get feedback from the forum before I book the airlines. Not sure if 4 or 5 days is really worth it or not but I will listen to anyone who wants to chime in.
6abc
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 07:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
How about taking the ferry from Portland, ME to Nova Scotia? They run until October 13. Saves a lot of driving and time. You could drive to Portland in one long day, take the ferry (leaves around 8 PM), and arrive in Yarmouth the next morning. Try and get a cabin.

http://novastarcruises.com
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 08:30 AM

You may also want to consider flying into Bangor, ME and picking up a car from there. I believe it is only about a 3 hour drive from Bangor to St. John which will also cut out a lot of driving time.

If you end up driving from Boston, think about a stop in Acadia National Park in ME if you haven't been there. I know your priority is getting to Canada but Acadia has great hiking and is beautiful.
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Fra thanks for that tip. I will look into that. That sounds like a good plan.

Curious... that was our original itinerary and we had a flight booked into Bangor. But because it is so close to departure time the cost of the flight has doubled so we don't want to do that.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 05:59 AM

As it already IS October 4, this is way too late, BUT if it were me, I would still make the effort to do and see what you can of NS in a week... EVEN if it means driving from Philly.

I've driven from NS to Boston a couple of times, and from Boston to NS once as well.

Boston to Halifax isn't much different time and distance-wise whether going through Houlton or Calais, but I think if I were revising what had been a more comfortable trip, into a hurry-up effort, I might go through Houlton just to keep from stuffing too much into my mind before reaching NS.

<b>First Priority</b> must still be the rocks at Hopewell Cape at <b>low tide</b>... and only then do you press on and toward Cape Breton.

Work with the time you have available, and make the best of it.