Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Teenagers in Vancouver (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/teenagers-in-vancouver-406256/)

MarshaL Mar 3rd, 2004 12:36 PM

Teenagers in Vancouver

Dear Fodorites,
We are planning to take our two children (girl-19, boy-16) to BC this summer and will spend most of the five days in Vancouver. Suggestions as to hotels? We definitely need a suite or two rooms and would prefer a 3 or perhaps 4 star place. One caveat- I do not want to stay in a high rise.
Also, suggestions for activities? What if it rains? Thanks in advance.

GaryA Mar 3rd, 2004 01:22 PM

You've definately posed a tough one requiring a 3 or 4 star lo-rise hotel with suites. Assuming that you want to be on the downtown peninsula I believe that the Westin Bayshore has some two bedroom suites in its lo-rise, (6 or 7 floors), but I suggest you call and ask. Because of the high density and land costs in the Downtown Peninsula almost everything except B & B's is high rise. The few exceptions would be older Motor Inn type places on Howe and Davie Streets and even those don't usually have suites although they would have connecting rooms. But they are generally 2 or barely 3 star places.

There's no end of activities for teenagers in Vancouver in the Summer. The shopping on Robson Street or, on a rainy day, in the Pacific Centre or even better, Metrotown, (take the Skytrain), is cool as is Gastown and for a walk on the sleazy side - the Granville Mall.

Stanley park is great for outdoorsy things and English Bay beach is fantastic for eye candy of both sexes as are the Spanish Banks and Jericho beaches. I don't think you want me to reccomend the clothing optional beach.

Exploring the North Shore and especially Grouse Mountain and the Capilano or Lynn Canyon areas is beautiful and something totally unique to Vancouver. Going up Grouse Mountain in the early evening, having dinner as the sun sets and coming down to the unbelievable panorama of the city below is amazing but of course that should only be done on a clear day.

In addition to the above there is Granville Island, a fun way to get there is taking the little water taxis that ply False Creek; the Chinese Malls in Richmond, (Chinatown itself is fairly scuzzy), Museums, Theatre and more than enough to keep a family busy for a week. Have a great time!

LordBalfor Mar 3rd, 2004 01:30 PM

Agree with GaryA. Also have to add that Vancouver is a great town for young people with lively streets (full of other young people) and plenty to see and do. Robson Street is epecially vibrant. Vancouver is truly a world class city in my opinion.

Ken

PS to Gary (or anyone who knows) -
When did they change the name to Robson Street from Robsonstrasse?

GaryA Mar 3rd, 2004 01:50 PM

In the 60's and 70's Robson Street became knnown for it's many European style family run eateries and shops and thus was dubbed 'Robsonstrasse' But in the late 80's the super high end name brand stores started to move in sending rents skyrocketing and the Mom and Pop places were priced out. Thus a return to plain old Robson Street.

MarshaL Mar 3rd, 2004 02:03 PM

Gary,
Thanks for your quick response.
I just returned from the bookstore where I purchased "Frommer's with Kids - Vancouver." In addition to the Westin Bayshore, the following hotels are some of those recommended:
Sutton Place
Pacific Palisades
Rosedale on Robeson
Listel.
I've also heard a lot about the Wedgewood.
Considering my difficult criteria (i.e. teenager-friendly, low-rise, 3-4 star), can you comment on any of these?

Meesthare Mar 3rd, 2004 03:12 PM

The Wedgewood is wonderful but perhaps a bit elegant for teenagers. What about the Granville Island Hotel? I don't know if they have suites, but it's a low-rise place in a fun location. The only problem is that there can be a lot of traffic going back and forth, if you've got a rental car.

LordBalfor Mar 3rd, 2004 03:30 PM

Thanks for the info Gary. It's been a pretty cool street - in either incarnation.

Did those Eurpoean eateries end up moving to any particular area - or did they just die/disperse?

Ken

Cat123 Mar 6th, 2004 01:51 PM

The Wedgewood Hotel in Vancouver is fabulous - a great boutique hotel. I don't know what you mean by high-rise but it is about 10 stories or so. It doesn't feel like a highrise though.

Cat123 Mar 6th, 2004 02:31 PM

Just a further note - you may find the Granville Island hotel and the Westin Bayshore to be a bit isolated. Granville Island is a bit of a pain to get to and from except by car or a very expensive mini-ferry service and is very busy. The Westin is a very nice place located in the Coal Harbour area but not that easy to walk to anywhere from (except Stanley Park and the seawall). I wouldn't recommend that you let your kids go into Stanley Park at night.

qman Mar 7th, 2004 10:17 PM

I'm not sure if the european eateries moved to commercial drive or if the eateries out there have always been there.If you want to sample flavours from just about any ethnic background you go here(from broadway to about venables)you will find lots of european bakeries,italian shops and cafes,it's very unique.You wont find many corporate stores here,mostly mom and pop originals.Check out thedrive.net to find out more.

Sam_Salmon Mar 8th, 2004 10:54 AM

Show the kids this site http://www.deepcovekayak.com -Kayaking is easy and fun for all ages.

As to the suggestion re:visitng Commercial Drive-I wouldn't take a dog to that downmarket 'hood.

Now 'street crime central' the area was once interesting but is now dodgy at best.