TAXI's/BUSES in Victoria?

Mar 16th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

TAXI's/BUSES in Victoria?

Traveling to Victoria in August and will be picking up a car at the airport, but want to return the car to a downtown location the day before we leave for Vancouver.
Problem is the car rental place (HERTZ) is not within walking distance back to our hotel (we're leaving by ferry to Vancouver).
Anyone know if it's easy to get a cab in Victoria or is there a good Bus system that runs late so that we can get back to our hotel?
Mar 16th, 2004, 02:49 PM

It would help to know what hotel you're staying in. By the sounds of it you are staying out at Sydney near the airport. If so you'd probably be better taking a cab.
Mar 17th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Cruiseryyc-While I always appreciate all feedback from fellow FODORITES, I think your response is for Sidney, Australia. I'm traveling to VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA. I'm planning to stay at the Fairmont Empress (for future reference in case anyone needs to know). I don't seem to be getting any responses back from this post (boring maybe . Probably should have put BRITISH COLUMBIA in the subject line maybe to avoid confusion????
Mar 17th, 2004, 07:15 AM

Cruiseryyc was, I think, actually referring to Sydney BC - the community somewhat north of Victoria where the airport is located.
Mar 17th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Ahhhh.... Didn't know that there was a Sidney BC . Thanks for clarifying that....
Mar 17th, 2004, 07:55 AM

One thing that we noticed in Victoria is that you can't easily hail a cab on the street. Basically if you're in a restaurant or whatever, you call a cab and it picks you up. Cabs don't cruise the streets looking for fares. Our friends in Victoria were very surprised that we were able to get a cab on the street.
Mar 17th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Yes you can walk from the Hertz downtown location to the Empress Hotel, but I'm not sure I would do it at night. The ferry terminal is located near Sydney, BRITISH COLUMBIA, which is about a 30 to 45 minute drive from downtown Victoria, BRITISH COLUMBIA. Are you taking the bus to Vancouver? This is a very easy thing to do as the bus terminal is right behind the Empress Hotel. You can catch the bus there, it drives onto the ferry and then will drop you at the bus terminal in downtown Vancouver. By the way the ferry terminal on the Vancouver side is about 45 to 60 minute drive to downtown Vancouver.
Mar 18th, 2004, 12:47 AM

The Sidney on the island is spelled with an i not a y.

I didn't answer your original post, GailLK, because you didn't mention your hotel or the car rental location. Where is Hertz? If it's out on Douglas, buses run fairly frequently, but you might be better off calling a cab. Their ad in the phone book shows a number for the Queen Victoria Inn, which is very close to The Empress Hotel. I don't know if you can drop cars off there. If not, I think National and Budget have an office right behind the Empress.