Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Taxi from Downtown Montreal to Old Montreal (Old Port) and Driving tips (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/taxi-from-downtown-montreal-to-old-montreal-old-port-and-driving-tips-708730/)

MI2Montreal07 May 28th, 2007 06:57 PM

Taxi from Downtown Montreal to Old Montreal (Old Port) and Driving tips

I am going to be staying at the Hotel de la Montagne end of July into the beginning of August. One of the few days I'll be staying there I'm going to try going to the Old Port. I will have my car with me, but with the crazy price difference in gas, I was thinking it might be cheaper (and less of a hassel) to take a cab. I will be riding with my boyfriend. How much would a cab cost, and would my hotel be able to call a cab for me? Will it be easy to call a cab after the day is done?

Also, once at the Old Port, I've heard there are boat tours. Any good? If so, should I go on the boat with food or without? Any idea on cost? I've also heard that there is some sort of a Science Center that has an IMAX theater. Would you recommend that or any other great and fun things to do at or near (within walking distance) of the Old Port?

One more thing. I am trying to budget as much as possible, and we're driving about ten hours to get to Montreal. We were thinking about stopping for a night in Toronto, breaking up the drive, but that would cut into one of our days to explore. Do you think it would be a good idea to do the full ten hours there, stay an extra night, and have that evening to relax? My boyfriend and I aren't morning people...

I think that's as detailed as I can get. Any help in any of these matters would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

djkbooks May 28th, 2007 09:19 PM

It's a bit of a hike, but you can walk to the Old Port - or take a city bus or the metro. Check out the visitor's transit passes on the website.

Taxis are plentiful. Leaving the hotel, the doorman will hail one for you. You'll have no problem finding one back.

The boat tours are terrific. Just head for the dock (follow the signs). The daytime cruises offer food (very good), which you can have or not.

There are all sorts of appealing places for lunch, snacks, drinks, etc.

Do a search for the IMAX and see if you find any of the shows during your dates appealing.

Be sure to check whether your dates coincide with the International Fireworks Competition - not to be missed!

Is Niagra Falls on your way? Would recommend an overnight stop there versus Toronto.

pavfec May 29th, 2007 05:41 AM

Leave your car at the hotel! Driving in Montreal is a big pain (I lived there for 5 1/2 years). You can easily get to the Old Port by subway (metro). Your hotel is about 2-3 blocks from the Lucien-L'Allier metro station. From there, take the subway (direction Henri-Bourassa) to Champ-de-Mars (4 stations). It's about a 10 minute walk from Champ-de-Mars to the Old Port. My DH and I used to do it all the time.

The subway is $2.50 per ride. You can also buy a book of 6 tickets (a "lisière") for $11.50. It works out to $1.87 per ride.

MI2Montreal07 May 29th, 2007 06:46 AM

Thanks!

djkbooks-- a couple quick questions for you...

1) How can I check and see if my travel dates (7/30/07-8/4/07) will coincide with the International Fireworks Competition? And is that held in the Old Port?

2)Any idea on the cost of the boat tours (two people, and lunch)?

Thanks!

And pavfec-- Where can I buy the tickets for the metro... are they just there at the stations? And do I need to buy a ticket going back into the city? Can two people use the same booklet?

Thanks so much! And please keep the great advice coming!

pavfec May 29th, 2007 07:11 AM

You can buy the tickets at the kiosk in the metro station. The "booklet" is just a series 6 tickets. You need one ticket per person per ride, so you'd need one ticket to go to the Old Port and one to get back.

Also, the Montreal Transit System offers tourist cards for unlimited use of public transport. One day is $9.00 and 3 consecutive days are $17.00. You need one card per person.

Re: boat tours, google Croisieres AML. I think that's the company that does them.

Vttraveler May 29th, 2007 02:59 PM

actually the price of the strip of six tickets for metro or bus has gone up to $11.75 or $1.95 per ride. Still a good deal. It would cost you $4 per person to do the round trip so would be cheaper to use the lisiere than the tourist pass if you are only going to make 2 RTs per day. I agree you should not try to drive and park within the city.
also, there are 2 additional metro stops recently added to the system past the old end of line Henri Bourassa so you want to go on the orange line in the direction marked "Montmorency."

In the Old port area and beyond, bicycling is fun. I highly recommend the archeological museum, Pointe a Calliere if you have any interest in history. The Science Ctr is geared more toward kids than adults but I think you can just get tkts to the IMAX separately from the exhibits.

the official tourist web site for Montreal has lots of events listings for festivals, exhibits, etc available when you are visiting.
http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C/13/default.asp
The info on the fireworks festival:
International des Feux Loto-Québec – Montréal International Fireworks Competition
Family,
Festivals & Events
6/20/2007 - 7/28/2007
INFORMATION
(514) 790-1245 (Telephone)
1 800 361-4595 (Toll Free)

www.internationaldesfeuxloto-quebec.com

Vttraveler May 29th, 2007 03:08 PM

I also posted some other suggestions for you on your earlier thread so you should check that, too. Really, the tourism site is very comprehensive and useful and you should look at it. there is a good description of Old Montreal/Old Port under the Experience Montreal "Neighborhoods" section

AlexA May 29th, 2007 04:30 PM

The real issue in going from downtown to the Old Port is trying to park--and the expense for that, not gas (you'e only talking about a couple of miles, after all--how much gas would you use?)
I felt that the science center is definitely more for kids. But there'a always somethung to do in the Old Port, lots of festivals, outdoor music, etc. Check schedule here http://www.quaysoftheoldport.com/ look at both events and activities listings

mitchdesj Jun 9th, 2007 01:39 AM

A taxi will cost around 10$; walking there will be about 40 minutes max at a leisurely pace. Cabs abound in mtl, you'll get one at the door in minutes.
You could walk there and cab it back; there is always a cab line at Place d'Armes square.
enjoy your trip and let us know how it went.
Friday and saturday nights are very busy in the old port; I would suggest you go late afternoon, walk around, stroll the galleries, etc... if you want a nice dinner, reserve in advance and eat before 8 to avoid the crowds.
Between McGill and St. Sulpice, on St. Paul street,
there are excellent restaurants and it's quieter than the area around Place Jacques Cartier ( fun to stroll there later in the evening, but crowds are thick)
The St. Sulpice hotel has a great terrace restaurant.
Restaurants in the area I speak about are Bonaparte, Phyrénées, Rose Blanche, Moulinsart,
Casa de Mateo (casua mexican but quaint), there's an indian and japanese place also, forget the names for now. Also at the corner of McGill and Notre Dame a romantic italian is le Muscadin; a trendy one is called l'Appartement, it's at the corner of McGill and William street.
I could come up with a few more and some numbers by next week.