Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Take the Taxi It's Cheaper in the Long Run L'Aeroport Shuttle Montreal (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/take-the-taxi-its-cheaper-in-the-long-run-laeroport-shuttle-montreal-806773/)

Denise Sep 19th, 2009 03:48 AM

Take the Taxi It's Cheaper in the Long Run L'Aeroport Shuttle Montreal

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up when using this service from Trudeau Airport. I'm a budget traveller so I use the bus which has always appeared to be less expensive. We arrived at Montreal and looked for the bus to downtown. There was no one at the ticket counter and no bus. Understandable, timetable showed it would arrive in 1/2 hour. When the bus arrived one of the most surly, grumpy drivers I've ever encountered got off the bus barked something at us in French and walked to the nearest coffee shop came back with two coffees and handed one to the person who was apparently hiding inside the ticket booth! The tickets were about $15 each and it was our understanding that it was for a round trip ticket. (Since we were to leave Montreal at 9:00 p.m. we were to call the L'Aeroport Service early for our return booking.) We were unceremoniously dropped at the Central Bus Station and "directed" is too kind a word, to another smaller shuttle. We arrived at the hotel and enjoyed our stay in Montreal.

On the day of our departure our concierge (who had the phone number but we could not find it anywhere in the book or on the ticket) attempted calling the bus service numerous times but the line was constantly busy and finally gave us the number to call to book our ride to the airport. We attempted several times later and got through for a 5:15 (yes I realize the traffic would be at its height) pick up. We were on time but the bus was delayed understandably by traffic. By 5:45 the bell hop called as he said sometimes they just don't show up, he was told there was alot of traffic and that the bus was just blocks away.

My partner and the bell hop had gone inside when the shuttle arrived. The driver got off the bus stood on the sidewalk and berated me as to why I had called so many times - he continued to shout about what was I to expect in this traffic. Right there and then I should have called a cab but we had the return ticket so we boarded the bus (by the way there was a sign above the driver thanking us in advance for tips!!!) and again we were unceremoniously dumped at the Central Bus Station to take another bus to the airport with an equally surly driver who told us our tickets were no good. He said he was leaving at 6:00 with or without us. We purchased new tickets, boarded the bus, and got to the airport around 7:00 which was fine. Upon arrival the driver stopped the bus turned off the lights, leaving us in total darkness and we groped our way to the exit. The driver stood by while the passengers unloaded their own bags, with partner crawling into the belly of the bus to retrieve our bags.

I think the cab fare is $16.95 flat rate per person to downtown Montreal so for about $8.00 more round trip we would have had a far more pleasant experience traffic withstanding. This company needs a lesson in customer service - its absolutely appalling.

Daniel_Williams Sep 19th, 2009 05:10 AM

For a single passenger, it's close to $35 each way (plus tip), so the savings is significant to take that shuttle bus, but if you're two or more, taking a cab I agree is the way to go. I agree that the Aeroports de Montreal service tends to be surly and disorganized, probably since they have what is essentially a monopoly on travel from the airport to downtown for budget-conscious solo travellers.

The only other option is to wait for a city bus (the 204 runs every half-hour or so) to bring you to Dorval bus/train terminus and then take the frequent express city bus (the 211) to Lionel-Groulx metro to wherever you're going next... $2.75 for a one shot ticket (less if you have a book of 6 tickets or a pass already). Too many steps for most people and one would not want to do this near rush hour or with lots of luggage. I've done the city bus route with light luggage and off-hours; I didn't think it was so bad, and worth it since I have a monthly pass and had no pressing engagements.

So, long and short, Aeroports de Montreal can get away with their surliness as they've got solo budget travellers (excuse the expression) by the balls. Sorry about your experience; hope it didn't cloud your impression of our fair city too much.

Best wishes, Daniel

OceanBreeze1 Sep 19th, 2009 11:50 AM

I think it is now $38. Used to be $35. Taxi flat rate from/to Montreal airport to/from downtown Montreal is $38 plus tip. Next trip take a cab...they are lined up right outside the main door @ the airport. And, they are lined up @ the hotels too...you don't even have to call.

LEANNA Sep 19th, 2009 06:32 PM

I am an older single woman, traveling alone. I will arrive in Montreal about 9 PM. I was going to book a car service via long distance, to take me to the Nelligan....but do you think a taxi would be safe and ok? Thanks.

OceanBreeze1 Sep 19th, 2009 09:59 PM

Leanna, a taxi would be fine & very safe. I take taxis all the time from the Montreal airport to downtown & back to the airport. I have booked limos from the airport to downtown & it is a pain waiting for them to arrive from the limo compound (or wherever the heck they have to park b/f they come & pick you up after you have checked in w/ the limo dispatcher.) Especially if you are standing out there in the pouring rain or snow!! And, it is a more expensive.
So, just walk outside & you will see the taxis. Hop in & away you go to the Nelligan! They actually have "painted lines" w/in the Montreal airport that you follow to get to the taxis!! :)

LEANNA Sep 20th, 2009 07:08 PM

OceanBreeze1!! THANK YOU so much for your quick reply. Ok you have set me at ease and a taxi is what I will do. I will figure about $40 and a tip of $5.......and I will make sure I have that in Canadian!!!

Thanks again!!!!

OceanBreeze1 Sep 20th, 2009 07:34 PM

Leanna, when are you going to Montreal?