Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Sydney or Victoria ??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/sydney-or-victoria-222414/)

Ellen May 19th, 2002 11:42 AM

Sydney or Victoria ???

We have been searching for accommodations in the Greater Victoria area for 6 nights in July. <BR>We have narrowed down our choices between two or three properties. Two are in the Victoria area and one is in Sidney on the water.<BR>Sidney seems very accessible to our visiting the Victoria area, and perhaps a little more centrally located for day excursions? <BR>It would be so helpful if anyone familiar with the areas could help me with feedback..positive or negative on either location would be so helpful.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Ellen <BR><BR>

G Mitchell May 19th, 2002 04:13 PM

Ellen:<BR><BR>Depending on where you want to go for your day excursions, Victoria city may be your best location as it allows you to go in different directions more easily ( up island, Sooke, or up the peninsula ) In Sidney, you would always be travelling back down the peninsula before heading in the directions you want.

Ellen May 19th, 2002 06:35 PM

George,<BR>Thanks, that is exactly the kind of thing I need to know. We do hope to travel to the central part of the island<BR>and to the Pacific rim. Do you think when we go to the pacific Rim we would be better off staying overnite?<BR>I really appreciate your help.<BR>Ellen

cindy May 19th, 2002 07:50 PM

I think you will enjoy your trip a lot more if you do plan an overnight stay at the Pacific rim. The distances aren't huge, but the travelling time can be a lot longer than it looks. I have done a day trip from Victoria to Long Beach, but we left at 5 AM and returned very late that night - quite exhausting! (I have very obliging and hospitable friends in Victoria who didn't mind doing all that driving.) <BR> I agree that you would be happier staying in Victoria rather than Sidney. Sidney is right on the end of the peninsula and would add anywhere from 15 minutes to nearly an hour to any trip that you took up-island, depending on traffic.<BR> Have a wonderful trip! We will also be out there in July and I'm just counting the days.

Ellen May 20th, 2002 05:07 AM

Thanks Cindy,<BR>Last night I did start searching for lodging around Torfino. It always does seem looking at a map more "doable" than actually doing it. I really appreciate your insight and will definitely take your advice. <BR><BR>Thanks again, and enjoy your trip as well!<BR>

cindy May 20th, 2002 05:22 AM

Ellen - just another couple of suggestions. I don't know how much time you will have, but if you're going to be in Tofino for a day or so, do try to take a tour to Hot Springs Cove. It will probably take up much of your day, but it's an amazing place. It involves a bit of hiking from the dock to where the hot springs are - it's not all that strenuous, the trail is very well-built, but there is some stair-climbing involved - I think the trail is about a mile long. There are various tour companies that take you out there; I think they combine it with a bit of whale-watching. <BR> The other part of my suggestion is that accommodation in/around Tofino can be pricy. Ucluelet is nearby and might be a little less costly.

Ellen May 20th, 2002 05:44 AM

You have been so helpful...thank you again!!

g mitchell May 20th, 2002 06:51 AM

Ellen:<BR><BR>If you are going to go to Tofino by all means do stay overnight. In order to really appreciate the area, you really should have at least a couple of days. It can be done as a day trip but all you will be doing is driving. From Victoria, you should plan on one day to get there -- about 5+ hours--, one day( or more ) there and one day back. On the way, be sure to stop at the town of Chemainus, Coombs ( tacky but fun ) Cathederal Grove heritage forest.<BR><BR>Tofino is very popular so book your accommodation in advance. Try Wilp Gybuu ( Wolf House)B&B www.tofinobedandbreakfast.com or www.wcbbia.com for others.

Susan May 20th, 2002 10:45 AM

I agree with the recommendations to stay overnight at Tofino. We were there last year - it was my first time in probably 25 years and I was surprised at how long it took us to drive from Victoria. We had 2 nights there. Unfortunately we had a lot of rain and fog - when we checked out the beach at Pacific Rim, we couldn't see too far! But we did the hot springs trip and I really enjoyed it. We saw our shares of wildlife (whales, etc.) and the hot springs were a nice break. <BR><BR>

Ellen May 20th, 2002 02:41 PM

Everyone has been so helpful with their input. This trip came up rather unexpectedly, first part, business in Vancouver.. we already vacationed this year in the Caribbean so really thought that is all we would do until we started really looking at the area. We tacked on six days justified by subscribing to the "life is too short and we may never pass this way again" theory, I can't thank all of you enough in helping us narrow down such a vast area and sharing your knowledge with us. Coming from Boston (very small here in New England) it was a bit overwhelming at first. I have enjoyed expolring the area on the internet almost as much as I know I going to enjoy actually being there.<BR>Ellen