Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > Sunrie and sunset times in Jasper, Alberta
Notices

Sunrie and sunset times in Jasper, Alberta

May 26th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Sunrie and sunset times in Jasper, Alberta

We are planning a trip to Jasper in September. We will like to take a VIA train which leaves Vancouver at 5.30pm and reaches Jasper at 11 am (next morning). I cannot find a day train.

My question is: Will we get at least 3-4 hours of day light (5.30-7PM and 9-11AM next day) to enjoy the rockies from the train?

Any other tips about this or other similar train ride?

Thanks
Ruma.
May 26th, 2004, 03:21 PM

In Jasper during the first three weeks of September there are more than 12 hours of "daylight" (to be accurate - hours during which the sun is above the horizon; in addition, there is a long twilight as well).
The autumnal equinox is on the 22nd of September this year, and even then there will slightly more (a few minutes) than 12 hours of "daylight".

For September the 15th, sunrise in Jasper will be slightly later than 7:30 in the morning (Mountain Daylight Time) and sunset will be at around 8 p.m.

Keep in mind that you will be crossing a time zone as you travel into Alberta/Jasper National Park (from Pacific to Mountain), and you'll be "losing" an hour.

May 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM

Rcky Mountaineer RailTours is another service that accomplishes the journey from Vancouver to Jasper or from Vancouver to Banff over two days. The train travels only during daylight hours and stops overnight in Kamloops, where passengers are accommodated in a hotel.

In September the Gold Leaf Service fare (which includes hotel accommodation and meals) is US$1,089 or C$1,379 per person sharing a double room, and US$1,154 or C$1,459 for a person travelling as a single.

The Red Leaf Service fare for the same journey is US$549 or C$699 per person double occupancy and US$614 or C$779 single.

According to the website, differences between Gold Leaf and Red Leaf Services include domed observation car versus regular railway carriage and hot breakfast and lunch service in dining car versus cold breakfast and lunch service in one's train seat.

Those differences in service don't seem to me to warrant the considerable differences in fares, so you might want to check that I read correctly. Here's the website:

http://www.bcpassport.com/trains/1.html

I haven't travelled by train between Alberta and British Columbia, but I know a few people who have taken the Rocky Mountaineer from Calgary or Banff to Vancouver and have enjoyed it. My friends and acquaintances have done it in a domed observation car. I didn't know until now that the Rocky Mountaineer included a less expensive option without an observation car.

By comparison, VIA Rail's private suite appears to cost C$3,146 PER COUPLE (which works out to C$1,573 per person), a so called "double bedroom" on Silver & Blue Class costs C$828.18 per person, and Economy Class (reclining seat, no bed) costs C$215.07 per person.

You possibly know the different VIA Rail fares from your previous research, but I thought it might be helpful to post them alongside the Rocky Mountaineer's fares for easier comparison.

http://www.viarail.ca/en_index.html

Hope this helps.
May 28th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Go to:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...5?climoMonth=9

Have a great trip.

DFMcJ

Search this Thread