Summer Weather Montreal & Toronto?

May 15th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Jean

Summer Weather Montreal & Toronto?

My parents plan to drive from their home in Florida to either Montreal and/or Toronto some time this summer. They are used to hot, humid weather in Florida. How is the weather in Montreal and Toronto from June through August? Is air-conditioning required for a comfortable stay? Is the humidity high? What type of clothing would you recommend? Thanks for your advice.

May 15th, 2000, 11:53 AM
Susan

It won't be as hot and humid as Florida, but I would definitely recommend air conditioning in Toronto. (Can't say for Montreal.) I live in Toronto - we live in A/C, work in A/C and drive in A/C.

May 15th, 2000, 12:17 PM
elaine

Jean,

When I visited Montreal last July, temps were in mid to high 90's and very humid. Our hotel had air conditioning. I would advise your parents to stay in air conditioned accomodations. If vacationing, casual attire seemed the norm.

May 15th, 2000, 03:02 PM
Daniel Williams

Hi Jean

Montreal June through August range from 60s to 90s (15-35°C) in temperature. Typically, it's gorgeous in the summer and in the mid-high 70s and low 80s. Funny enough though, one year a friend of mine visited me in Montreal June 15th and it was 95 °F, 35°C, swelteringly humid. Then 4 years later she visited again, arriving June 15th and it was closer to 59°F, 15°C!!!!

I lived in Montreal 5 years without A/C but with a big fan as did many of my friends... Most of the time I was just fine; however, there typically are about 10 days or so each summer where I thought A/C would have been nice. If your parents are used to creature comforts, they'll want A/C (50/50 chance they'll actually need it).

Clothing recommended in Montréal: European styles! High fashion! Black shoes! (Oh you mean weather-wise..) It's best to be prepared for both cool and hot & humid.

Hope they have fun!

Dan

May 19th, 2000, 05:38 AM
camillo

Toronto weather - nice topic. 2 weeks ago I couldn't sleep because of the heat (though it was too early to install the AC). Today i practly got out my coat to walk to work. The summer is the same (although you won't need a coat). It could be hotter than Florida sometimes. And the humidity can be very high. Or it can cool down nicely. There's no consitency. But over all its beautifull. Bring a variety of clothes. Air conditioning is required and I don't think there are any hotels without it.