Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Summer Canada vacation with teens (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/summer-canada-vacation-with-teens-542326/)

WhansaMi Jul 7th, 2005 08:12 AM

Summer Canada vacation with teens

We would like to take a vacation to Canada next summer with our kids (both genders, ages 15 and 16). We will be coming from the east coast, so despite the fact that Vancouver is beautiful, I think I'd like to avoid an eight hour plane flight. I'm thinking either Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, or Nova Scotia.

A bit about the kids: the girl is very "girly" -- loves shopping, fashion, theatre and some sports. The boy is more cerebral -- likes history, science, and video games.

One thing we've considered is going to Toronto for four or five days, and then staying at a nearby resort for a couple of days (could anyone recommend a good resort within a couple of hours of Toronto?)

I'd greatly appreciate any and all suggestions. We are starting early (we are looking for the summer of 2006) so I have plenty of time to research and make sure I have the best options.

Thanks again!

Sheila

Sam_Salmon Jul 9th, 2005 05:49 AM

It is in no way an 8 hour plane flight from the Eastern US coast to Vancouver.8|

Judy_in_Calgary Jul 9th, 2005 10:13 AM

>>>It is in no way an 8 hour plane flight from the Eastern US coast to Vancouver<<<

Well okay Sam, it may not be 8 hours, but a non-stop flight from JFK to YVR is 6 hours.

Interestingly enough, a non-stop flight from JFK to London, UK is only 45 minutes longer than that.

JFK to Toronto, by comparison, is 1 hour 35 minutes.

Of course I don't know where on the east coast Sheila and family will be flying from. I'm just using JFK as an example.

Sheila, I'm a huge fan of Vancouver. However, if you are thinking of places that are further east than that, and given your son's interest in history and science, I don't think you should overlook Ottawa. It has wonderful museums, museums that even people who don't like museums enjoy.

I'm sorry, I'm not a big help when it comes to resorts in the surrounding countryside, but I hope others will be able to help you on that score.

But in reality you could find several of the features you're looking for in any of the places you've named as potential destinations.

It may help you to sort through the possibilities if you can decide whether you want to visit a larger city (Toronto or Montreal) or a smaller city (Ottawa, Quebec or Halifax).

One of Ottawa's advantages is that it is a small city in terms of size but, because it's Canada's capital, money is poured into its museums and art galleries. Hence it has the cultural amenities of a much larger city.

WhansaMi Jul 9th, 2005 01:43 PM

Hi Sam. I just went to Travelocity, and the shortest air time from where I live to Vancouver was 7 hours, 50 minutes, and the longest was 11 hours, 30 minutes. Either way, I think I'll stick closer to home!

Sheila

WhansaMi Jul 9th, 2005 01:45 PM

Thanks, Judy. I'll look into Ottawa as a possibility, too!

Sheila