Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Staying at Sofitel in Montreal what are some good restaurants with 4 and 6 year old (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/staying-at-sofitel-in-montreal-what-are-some-good-restaurants-with-4-and-6-year-old-332938/)

elizajames Jul 1st, 2003 05:12 PM

Staying at Sofitel in Montreal what are some good restaurants with 4 and 6 year old

We will be visiting Montreal mid July and staying at the Sofitel. I have read all the Montreal restaurant threads. My list is extensive, but I wanted to know which would be appropriate to bring my 4 and 6 year old. They are very well mannered and have a LOT of restaurant experience.

For instance, Ferraira Cafe is nearby the Sofitel, would this be a good choice?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

BAK Jul 1st, 2003 05:54 PM

Nickel's, a chain with a 50s theme, Swartz' Deli on St.laurent bnecause it is fun and thekids can share a sandwich, and Ben's Deli. downtown are all kid friendly, good food, a Montreal experience, etc.

There are some excellent places in the food court of the Central Station -- honest -- with high quality food and an atmoshere where there's lots going on for kids to see.

I used to live in Montreal with a four year old, and those were his favorites.

Thinking back, except for a couple of restaurants on Nun's Island, which is too far for you, those were our grown-up favorites when eating with him, too.

All are casual. Others will, I'm sure, suggest fancier places.

BAK

Scarlett Jul 1st, 2003 06:37 PM

Hi elizajames!
I hope you write after your trip and tell us about the Sofitel, I am thinking of staying there next trip.
We are usually in Montreal each fall, we always have dinner at least once at Cafe Ferreira.
I do not remember ever seeing any young children there.
Try browsing through www.tourisme-montreal.org. There are great lists of restaurants that might be better for young children.

mitchdesj Jul 2nd, 2003 03:29 AM

Even though Ferreira is called a Café, it's a very upscale dining room, fish only, I go often and have never seen small children there.
On that same street, Peel, there is Café Rock Détente which is more casual. Ste Catherine street has a plethora of restaurants to go to with children, in the Sofitel area, a very busy street though, you don't say if you are looking for high end restaurants or medium priced .
East of the Sofitel is Place Ville Marie building which has the Movenpick restaurant with a lot of choices; in the same building, Mr. Ma is a good chinese place.

Be aware that Montreal is very lax with smoking policies and most upscale restaurants have a big smoking section; food courts in malls are completely non-smoking.
In Old Montreal, Gibby's Steak and Seafood is a good place to bring children; I find that most italian restaurants will be more casual than the french restaurants.
On de la Montagne Street, north of Ste Catherine street, there is Katsura. a good japanese place, across from it there is another japanese, kyoto style, where they cook the food at the table; I think kids would be comfy there.
Side streets north of ste catherine street are less busy and prettier; let me know which restaurants you are considering and I can give you my comments, FWIW.

Scarlett Jul 2nd, 2003 05:30 AM

Last fall I noticed lunch at Bistro Detente was mostly business people from the neighborhood.
But it is an excellent lunch:)

Try Little Italy!

elizajames Jul 2nd, 2003 08:10 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. We would love to find a good Thai restaurant, Indian and Italian.

I appreciate the heads up on Ferraira.

The Japanese Kyoto Style restaurant sounds intriguing. I think the kids would enjoy this place.

Where are the best Chinese and best Thai restaurants nearby. We are looking in the middle to upper range.

Scarlett Jul 2nd, 2003 08:26 AM

I think Zen is among the best Chinese and right on Sherbrook at the Omni Hotel. The children would be fine there, we saw a few children when eating there, although the place is beautiful and looks and feels like a very upscale restaurant.

zootsi Jul 2nd, 2003 08:34 AM

Another option, especially for lunch, would be one of the 'Le Commensal' veggie cafeterias. Don't let 'veggie cafeteria' scare you off. Le Commensal's are elegant, comfortable, very European eateries with a mind boggling selection of Italian, chineese, Indian, Mexican, etc. foods, and a dessert table the kids will love. If you go on an off hour, there is lots of room to spread out and relax. The largest and best Commensal is on St. Catherine near McGill with great views down onto the street.

Scarlett Jul 2nd, 2003 08:58 AM

Yes! we really enjoyed our lunch at Commensal on ST Catherine.

djkbooks Jul 2nd, 2003 12:28 PM

Highly recommend Sunday Brunch at Les Beaux Jeudis on Crescent (between St. Catherine & Maisonneuve). Extensive menu, excellent food, moderate prices. The kids will love the magician, who also makes animals with balloons. Reservations essential. Reserve for the outdoor deck in the nice weather.

mitchdesj Jul 2nd, 2003 12:30 PM

For szchechuan style, similar to thai, le Piment Rouge is a stone's throw to the sofitel, it's upscale and the service is fast, their hunan dumplings are to die for and so is the lemon chicken.
Italian restaurants abund in Montreal, Bocca d'Oro on Guy street is one of my favorites and also Il Cortille on Sherbrooke st. west, close to Guy, across from the museum, a very walkable distance from your hotel, has an interior courtyard for summer dining that is out of this world and the food is very good.
The other night I ate at L'Entrecôte St. Jean, on Peel Street and de Maisonneuve, which is one street north of Ste Catherine, they serve a steak strip and french fries, profiterolles for dessert, $20 canadian with soup and salad, or $17 without soup and dessert, this is all they serve but is it ever good, the kids could share a steak , specify if you don't want the sauce over the steak, it comes with it, the kids might not want it... but for a steak frites, it's the best place in a french bistro atmosphere...
Do reserve wherever you wish to go...

pattysuericia Jul 2nd, 2003 08:05 PM

Hi Mitchdesj, Your restaurant suggestions are terrific. I happen to like Mr Ma for chinese very much-this is the first time I've seen it mentioned.