Notices

St. Pierre/Miquelon

Jun 30th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

St. Pierre/Miquelon

Any information/tips on leaving St. Johns, N>L. to get to above. Any information on the ferry from Fortune to St. Pierre? Is it worth the $$$ and the bother?
Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM

Visited St. Pierre in early June ' 06 via ferry from Fortune. See http://www.spmexpress.net/english/index.php Spent 2 days exploring the town/island which was an ample amount of time, although the ferry schedules wouldn't accommodate a visit to Miquelon during our short stay that early in the tourist season. As we intended to explore NFL's southern coastal region, the ferry worked out to be more economical that a flight from St. John's with a return to Toronto, which we also briefly considered.

Is it worth the $$$ and the bother? That's entirely up to the individual. Being history buffs, my husband and I were interested in seeing the region that was given to France as part of the Treaty of Versailles at the close of the American Rev... all about Cod and fishing rights of the Grand Banks. This region also played a role in bootlegging during Prohibition, so the people on these islands have been making $$$ off Americans for some time now, LOL! The community itself definately has French influence that can be seen in its buildings, lace curtains, European cars, and cuisine. Would I return, probably not... but it's definately worth the trip if you haven't been to France, IMHO.
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for insight and observations. Think we'll just tool around St. Johns, pass on St. Pierre, and go down to Ferryland sne see the archeological site there. Would rather spent time visiting France!
Jul 6th, 2007, 09:51 AM
LJ

I think you have made a wise decision...although fun as a weekend jaunt if you live in NL (as we did at one point) St. Pierre/Miquelon are not as interesting as the Avalon Peninsula (the area surrounding St.John's).

Must see's in the immediate area include Cape Spear, Marine Drive and the Battery Walk (right in town).

The other downside about St.P/M is that the ferry you speak about crosses a wildly unpredictable stretch of water and you need a REALLY strong stomach.

Search this Thread