Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   St-Pierre. French terr. off Newfoundland (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/st-pierre-french-terr-off-newfoundland-87101/)

D. Silver Sep 20th, 2000 05:12 PM

St-Pierre. French terr. off Newfoundland

Has anyone any experience traveling here? How's the weather in October? How does one get there? Any points of interest worth discussing?

Vanessa Sep 20th, 2000 07:31 PM

I haven't been but my parents went a few years ago. They went on the ferry one day (from Newfoundland I believe) and back the next. They said that wasn't enough time to tour around and that another day would have been great. Sorry but I don't have any particulars about what there was to see.

jackie Sep 29th, 2000 09:26 AM

Haven't been there,but on the weather question, my bet would be cold and rainy just like Newfoundland and most of the rest of Canada in October.

thor Oct 3rd, 2000 09:26 AM

I have been to Saint Pierre and Miquelon some years ago, although I don't think it has changed that much. October is right on the bubbble, as it generally means the beginning of the winter storm season, although you can still get some nice days. Just be prepared for rain. The amazing part of St. Pierre is that it is so French, and yet is close to the anglo influence of Newfoundaland, and the rest of North America. You can expect good food and wine in the restaurants, and simple, but comfortable accomodation in the pensions.

Daniel Williams Oct 4th, 2000 08:37 AM

Hey Thor <BR> <BR>I've always been curious about the St. Pierre and Miquelon islands. I was wondering if you knew...do the islands have more of a "Quebec" feel about them or more of a "France" feel, linguistically speaking? I lived in Montréal for 5 years and enjoyed learning about the various nuances of the French language within Québec and its many differences from European French. <BR> <BR>Dan.

thor Oct 5th, 2000 11:44 AM

Daniel et al: If you didn't know you were just off the coast of Newfoundland, you would swear you were in the heart of Brittany or Normandy in France. The people are definitely French from France, and are proud of it. They receive satellite programming from France to stay aware of what is happening back home, and most of the products in the stores are from France. Therefore, despite the iffy weather in the late fall, it a cheaper way of having a European vacation. By the way, if you're into hiking, it is quite possible to hike around the whole isand in less than a day.

Daniel Williams Oct 6th, 2000 10:07 AM

Hi Thor, <BR> <BR>Very interesting; you've definitely further piqued my curiosity about these islands. Of course, many Anglo-North Americans find that more than a few parts of Québec have a definitively "European" feel about them as well, at least compared to much of the rest of North America. My Québécois friends on the whole were proud of their French ancestry also, but with the exception of a few, considered themselves as cousins rather than as "concitoyens" to French people from France. Nevertheless, the values, styles and cultures of Quebec to my eyes decidedly have a strong "France" influence. There of course are significant differences between Quebecois French language and France French. Fascinating to hear more about the St. Pierre & Miquelon.... <BR> <BR>Dan

elizabeth Jan 13th, 2001 08:36 AM

To the top for Sheila

adoptionisfab Mar 25th, 2005 03:22 PM

I read about this in Coastal Living MArch 2005 so I am topping it to see if anyone has been there since it sounds facinating!

Miquelon Jul 8th, 2005 07:47 PM

Hello all

I strongly suggest you check out the St Pierre et Miquelon travel website for answers to your questions. The site is fully bilingual and you can order a brochure though our forms.

http://www.st-pierre-et-miquelon.com/

adoptionisfab Jul 9th, 2005 05:14 PM

Miquelon,
Thank you so much. I will check it out.