Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

So many good restaurants in Toronto, but which one?

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am helping choose a restaurant in downtown Toronto for 6-8 out-of-towners. I have looked at menupalace.com but am confused by the incredible choices. The requirements would be: not too loud but not stoggy, great food at a good value (not pretentious), and mostly a meal that will be remembered. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:58 PM
BAK

Harder than it might appear to be.

Rhwere's a tourist magzine given away in hotels, called Where, and I was just lookingthrough it this afternoon. And I, who know a lot about restaurnats and live surrunded by them, was struck by the vast selection.

Got any idea of what night of the week, and when?

There are a lot of places that are better for your purposes Monday through Thursday, than on Friday or Saturday.

And "good value" is so hard to define. In Toronto, a lot of people think that $100 per person is good value, because it's so easy to spend $150 each.

And, and... )Geezzz, Iwish this was easier...

A meal that will be remembrered could be the food, or could be tyhe overall dining experience.

My guess is tghat if there are 6-8 people, chances are pretty good that the overall dining experience, rather than the food itself, would be what define memorable.

So that eliminates places like Senses and Susuur, where you really do need to pay attention to every bite, and can't pay much attention to your dining companions.

And, of course, there's the question of food type; Italian, a steakhouse, continental, etc.

Cutting to the chase... Club Lucky, Kit Kat Two, on John Street, between Adelaide and Richmond. Italian, good food, very popular with groups, on several floors, in two old houses with the wall removed between them. Not a chain.

Outside patio if the weather is good.

Currently closed Sunday and Monday. When is your event? It'll probably be open Mondays by the first of June.

www.kitkattoronto.com

The "real" KitKat, two blocks away, is too tight for your group if it gets up to 8 people. For 6, they'd fit OK.

BAK

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:17 AM

I took 3 relatives from England to Scaramouche for a birthday dinner and they made it very special. The food was wonderful.

http://www.scaramoucherestaurant.com/
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Author: GeoNit
Date: 04/20/2006, 06:49 pm

Author: GeoNit
Date: 04/20/2006, 06:43 pm
This isn't the best forum to address your question.

Go to:

http://www.chowhound.com/canada/boar...o/toronto.html

and post your request, being speccific as possible on the type of food that interest you.

Once you narrow down your choices, go to:

http://www.foodpages.ca

enter a restaurants name and hit the "restaurants" button. On the next screen hit the map link to find the restaurant's location.

For example, following the above procedure, here is the map link for Susur:

http://foodpages.ca/52384?showmap=1&toz=

Another interesting feature of the foodpages website is a function that will bring up basic information on all restaurants within a certain radius of a mail code.

For example, if you enter Mail Code "M5V 1M5", you will get a list of 308 restaurants within 1km of that Mail Code, the retaurants address, telephone numbers and map locators:

http://foodpages.ca/?SearchDD=1&lang...=1&city=&prov=

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:31 AM

It's not trendy, but I'm very fond of Bodega, on Baldwin Street in Toronto. Go to www.bodegarestaurant.com

I've organised a few celebration meals there for groups of 6-8, and often taken out of town guests there. Despite the name, Bodega is more French than Spanish. It occupies an elegant old Toronto house, and is on Baldwin Street, an interesting street in the centre of the city. Baldwin is where the university, Chinatown, old Toronto and downtown meet. Lots of restaurants serving different cuisines. The service has always been great, the food is very good and it's not cheap but it's not super-expensive.