Reload this Page >

Skiing in Montreal / Quebec City area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 07:26 AM
linda

Hi-<BR>My family wants to go skiing, and I would love to see Quebec City and/or Montreal.<BR>I don't like to ski, so those cities would give me something else to do while they ski!<BR>How is the skiing in those areas? How far away from the cities? Names of ski areas?<BR>Can you still ski in mid-April? Any other hints? Thank you, thank you, thank you!<BR>Linda

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 07:50 AM
linda

After doing some reading, I get the feeling there won't be skiing in mid-April in the Quebec City / Montreal area!<BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 07:50 AM
Louis

Yeah, I know, everybody will say go to Mont-Tremblant... allthough there is a lot to do there, even for the non-skier, it is still 90 minutes away from Montreal and it is certainly not the nicest ski montain in Quebec, specially not in mid-April. <BR><BR>IMHO opinion Mont Ste-Anne offers nicer skiing, a much nicer &amp; bigger mountain and is only 20-30 minutes away from Quebec City. (BTW, I find that The Mont-Tremblant pedestrian village, although well done, is really only a Disneyland version of Quebec City.)<BR><BR>Even in April, winter ski conditions can prevail at Mont Ste-Anne.<BR><BR>If you go to Mont Ste-Anne, the skiers in your group should also devote a day to &quot;Le Massif&quot;, another 30 minutes further down route 138 in Charlevoix. Highest vertical drop in Eastern Canada. Fabulous trails and breathtaking views. I would not recommend staying there however, because there is little else than the fantastic mountain there. (For the moment at least. It was only recently announced that one of the founders of the Cirque du Soleil was going to invest his personal fortune in developping a resort at Le Massif.)<BR><BR>(see www.lemassif.com)<BR><BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 07:57 AM
Louis

Tremblant is planning to close April 21.<BR><BR>Le Massif is planning to close on April 23. <BR><BR>Mont Ste-Anne, May 4th (they make more artificial snow there).<BR><BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 08:44 AM
Kris

I second Mont Sainte Anne. Though we go to MT more often, I prefer MSA both for the skiing (in our case cross-country)and food.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 09:07 AM
linda

Thanks, Louis &amp; Kris!<BR>To ask a stupid question, if there isn't snow, and they make artificial snow, is it worth skiing on? How far is Mont St. Anne from Quebec City?<BR>How far is Quebec City from Montreal?<BR>(driving time). Thanks!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 10:04 AM
Louis

Artificial snow is fine for skiing. Almost like the real thing. <BR>As I said, Mont Ste-Anne is about 20 to 30 minutes by car from Quebec (no more than 25 km). Quebec is 2 1/2 hours by car from Montreal (240 km)

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Robin

My boyfriend and I love quebec and want to go for Christmas. He is an expert skier I am a beginner. Can anyone answer these questions. Can we rent ski clothes. Can he rent expert equipment. Where would we do snowmobiling, dogsledding, skating etc. Help?

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Miike

Robin-It is so nice of Louis to always answer these quesions so politely and always helpful. But I think some of you guys should really try doing some of your own homework, instead of giving him a list of questions! Try doing a text search on here or in your own search engine, ever hear of Google?<BR>

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Louis

There is a ski shop at Mont Ste-Anne that rents equipment - I don't know about clothing though (I don't think so)...They rent expert equipment (parabolic skis, etc.)<BR><BR>For other activities see:<BR><BR>http://www.tourisme-charlevoix.com/<BR><BR>click activities and winter.