Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   skiing at Bromont or St. Saveur (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/skiing-at-bromont-or-st-saveur-870954/)

dandygirl Dec 27th, 2010 03:09 PM

skiing at Bromont or St. Saveur

Happy holidays to all! We are a family of 2 adults and 4 teens looking to go skiing at
either St.Saveur or Bromont Jan 15, 2011 weekend. We have been skiing many times to Mt. Tremblant and love it however it gets too crowded on American holidays. We've never been to St. Saveur or Bromont so need some good advice. Is there enough to do
if we stay at the mountain or should we stay in Montreal and drive to the slopes??
Any replies are great appreciated!

cdnyul Dec 28th, 2010 02:15 PM

Neither.

Mt Sutton has the best snow and the best village.

Bromont probably has the best night skiing, They groom at the end of the day.

St.Saveur has not had any natural snow since early December. A general consensus in our house (one skier, four boarders) is that St Saveur s**ks. We went there twice and they were both bad ( conditions and staff)

I would stay near Sutton.

Mark

laverendrye Dec 28th, 2010 08:28 PM

I've not skied at either Bromont or St. Sauveur, but I do endorse the recommendation for Sutton. It's a great hill. I'll be there the second week of January.

In the Laurentians, I think the only real alternative to Tremblant is Mont Blanc, but as I haven't been there yet this year I can't comment on the conditions. Only half the runs are currently open so unless there's lots of snow in the next two weeks it might be marginal.

I wouldn't stay in Montreal and drive to the slopes each day. For Mont Sutton there;s good accommodation in the town of Sutton, and for Mont Blanc, there's plenty of accommodation at the hill or in the immediate vicinity.

I don't know where you're coming from, but you might want to consider the Quebec City area as an alternative. I think that Mont Ste Anne has better skiing than Tremblant, and that the best skiing in Eastern Canada is at le Massif. You could easily stay in Quebec City and drive to Mont Ste Anne. For le Massif, I'd suggest staying in Baie St. Paul.

JMWF Jan 5th, 2011 08:01 AM

if you are only choosing between bromont and sauveur, for the entire experience, i'd choose sauveur.

the skiing is fairly comparable between the two (both relatively mediocre), however sauveur is a great tourist town with great moderately priced restaurants, and other things to do...

other than those two, i agree completely with the le Massif suggestion, though any of sauveur, bromont, sutton, or even jay peak, are operating at best with around 60% of trails open currently...

mont blanc is a great hill, relative to sauveur, but there isn't much to do in the immediate vicinity. you'd likely be driving into sauveur or tremblant for dining and nightlife.

dandygirl Jan 9th, 2011 01:13 PM

Great. Thank you! Every year we head to Tremblant and Mont
St. Anne and Massif. We love skiing in Canada. Tremblant is
much too crowded and getting very pricey. So instead of that
trip, we'll try Sutton. Then in Feb we head to QC. The best!
Happy New Year to all, Happy Skiing and Boarding!