Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Ski/winter in Banff area questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/ski-winter-in-banff-area-questions-243716/)

Jean Jul 27th, 2002 06:08 PM

Ski/winter in Banff area questions

Thinking of going with my family (intermed-novice) skiers in late Dec-early Jan.<BR>Anyone know what the weather is like then?<BR>Is it bitter cold? Good snow? Sunshine, Panorama or Norquay? Hotels? Any activities for non-skiiers? Are the roads easy to manage? DO they clean up quickly after snow falls? I know I have asked many questions and I thank you for any help!

x Jul 29th, 2002 07:14 AM

weather can be pretty cold at that time of year - january is usually the coldest month. if you stay in banff there are things for non-skiers to do - some hiking trails are open, dog sledding, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, drive to lake louise for a day. roads are kept in good condition. if staying in banff, plan on skiing sunshine & lake louise. it gets busy over christmas/new years so book early - most low-mid range hotels are around $100/night for one room.

Stuart Aug 8th, 2002 03:11 PM

Jean:<BR>I live here so you are taking to an expert.<BR><BR>What is your definition of cold? We Canadians define it differently than say an American does!<BR><BR>Avoid the Christmas period if you can as it is very busy and prices are up.<BR><BR>December and January are the coldest times. I suggest you come after Feb. 15th.<BR><BR>We have the best snow in the world!!<BR><BR>Of course there is a big local debate as to which ski hill is the best! My first choice is Sunshine then Lake Louise. Panorama is a 2 hour drive from Banff.<BR><BR>Banff has tons of activites for skiers and non skiers.<BR><BR>We clean up our snow very quickly.<BR><BR>Roads can often be bare and dry. Then again,......<BR>If you are from the southern States and not used to driving winter roads, take the bus.<BR><BR>Any more questions?<BR><BR>Stuart<BR>

jean Aug 9th, 2002 06:17 PM

Thanks, Stuart and x. Stuart, we have to work around our school schedule.<BR>We can go either 12/20 thru 1/5 or again, 3/15-4/1. Looking to spend 5-7 days. Do you think we should wait until late March? Cannot go in Feb. Thanks--how cold is it? farenhite please!

x Aug 12th, 2002 10:08 AM

choose to come in march. it will still be busy cause the alberta schools will have a spring break during that period but, my sister went last year to jasper and she said it wasn't too bad. in march you MAY have beautiful sunny days where you may ski in just a turtleneck & sweater. during breaks it could be warm enough to sit on the outside decks and enjoy the views.<BR>i personally never ski in december & january. #1 if we have a late winter, the snow in december may not be the best. and, if the wind is blowing the rides up the chair lifts can be terribly cold. may have to go into the chalets after only a couple of runs to warm up. it's not as enjoyable as march would be.<BR>stay in banff and plan on skiing lake louise one day & sunshine the next so you can see which one you like better (i prefer lake louise). norquay is only recommended for advanced skiers.

Stuart Aug 15th, 2002 06:40 PM

I agree with the last person's reply.<BR><BR>Temperatures can vary greatly day by day. From Nov 15th to Feb 15 it can be 50 degrees above farenheit andminus 45 degrees. So, you take what you get. The ski hills shut down at minus 35 degrees.<BR><BR>Blessings,<BR><BR>Stuart &lt;&gt;&lt;