Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Six days in Vancouver (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/six-days-in-vancouver-215448/)

Susan May 6th, 2002 05:25 PM

Six days in Vancouver

Looking for suggestions for things to do. We plan to go to Stanley Park, the aquarium, Chinatown, and Granville. All additional suggestions will be appreciated. Where are the Sitka trees? I have read about them. Thanks

gary May 6th, 2002 07:51 PM

Do you get the feeling that we've met somewhere before?.

Robyn May 6th, 2002 10:09 PM

Gary,<BR><BR>New users to Fodors probably don't realise that when you choose they keyword (ie: British Columbia, Alberta, Vancouver, Victoria, etc)... that they don't go to seperate forums, hence the repetition of posts.

Faina May 7th, 2002 10:54 AM

Susan, type word "vancouver" in the search field and click on "find" without highlighting or marking off anything else. You'll get more then you want advices on where to stay, what and where to eat, what to see. I've done that getting ready for my trip to Vancouver at the end of this month, and the only additional question I had was: if I need an adjuster for my hairdryer. <BR><BR>By the way Gary and Robin I'm not sure I've read anything about Sitka trees. And as I don't know what they are I'll wait... maybe some kind soul will enlighten me :)

Artemis May 7th, 2002 02:28 PM

Sitka Spruce trees are abundant on the Queen Charlotte islands, parts of Vancouver Island, and further north (as in Alaska). I can't offhand think of anywhere in the Vancouver area where you'll see them.

G Mitchell May 7th, 2002 04:59 PM

See response to same question on post #42

Susan May 9th, 2002 07:27 PM

Yes Gary, I do have that feeling. Now thinking of adding Whistler or taking a train ride into BC instead of going North. Any thoughts? If we do go to Whistler was thinking about taking the bus going p and the train back.

gary May 9th, 2002 09:05 PM

First in answer to Faina - Canada uses the exact same electrical system as the US so anything that works in a US plug will work in Canada.<BR><BR>Susan your plan is probably fine - i.e. to take a bus up and train back. The Bus lets you off in the heart of the village while the train depot is very much out of the way and you'll probably require a cab or something to get your luggage from your hotel to the train. Otherwise the train does travel closer to the water and consequently has better views but the views from the bus are pretty good too. Unless it's a socked in low cloud day you'll find the scenery breathtaking on both legs.<BR><BR>There is a BC rail train that travels past Whistler through central BC. It's tourist oriented and I'm sure if you go to the BC Rail website you can get the details on it.<BR><BR>The other very popular train ride is the Rocky Mountaineer which is an all daylight ride from Vancouver, (you overnight in Kamloops), to either Banff or Jasper. It's extremely popular and not cheap but it definately delivers the goods.

Susan May 18th, 2002 08:09 PM

Just wanted to say "Thank you." As of now I think we have more places that sound like "must do, than time permits. Presently trying to decide what to do and when and how to get there as we will not be renting a car.