Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   SITES close to BANFF (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/sites-close-to-banff-986481/)

TravelinVic Jul 26th, 2013 10:24 AM

SITES close to BANFF

We're a couple in our 60's flying into Calgary Airport (4 hr. flight). What is the best route, and how long a drive will it be to Banff? For our first day we will be content to find out your top choices for the best one or two scenic areas to visit on the way to Banff, and/or anything near the townsite. Thank you very much for any ideas!!

Myer Jul 27th, 2013 04:35 AM

What are your interests?

Borealis Jul 27th, 2013 06:57 AM

From Calgary airport to Banff will be 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on the traffic in the city. The airport is on the northeast of the city and you'll have to drive across and then south to get to the Trans Canada #1 highway heading west. I suggest taking Stoney Trail. Once out of Calgary, the drive is easy and quick (routinely takes us about an hour).

Kananaskis is on the way to Banff, but not directly, you'll have to turn off and drive south (on highway 40). Actually, anything east of Banff National Park is within easy driving distance of Banff (or Canmore, if you choose to stay outside of the park), so it's probably best just to head directly to Banff, settle in, and plan all your activities and sightseeing afterwards.

TravelinVic Jul 27th, 2013 08:32 AM

I was noticing on my map: Mt. Norquay Road area, Lake Minnewanka, the Tunnel Mountain area, and Vermillion Lakes. Anyone's top picks for those would be helpful. We just want the most scenic spots (though maybe they are all gorgeous?!), and would fit in a short hike of one or two miles tops. Thanks!

Myer Jul 27th, 2013 08:58 AM

I responded to the same question for PHayden several days ago.

Look at that post.

Also, you can see photos of my trip at: www.travelwalks.com

ltt Jul 27th, 2013 09:27 AM

head out of the airport and take stoney trail. that will end on hwy 1 and avoid a lot of the city traffic. you could stop in canmore for a walk or refreshment. once in Banff...a nice casual walk from the townsite is to the bow falls. the walk along the Banff springs hotel side is really nice. on another day you could walk on the other side which is less "nature" and more homes. be sure to check out routes along hwy 1A...more chances of seeing wildlife then on the main hwy 1

Improviser Jul 28th, 2013 08:55 AM

There is one basic route from Calgary to Banff.

Any guidebook will give you a list of things to see and do. Or just do a Google search for 'Banff SIGHTS' if you want.

Since I have no idea of your interests and whether they are similar to mine or not I see no sense in telling what my top choices would be.

judyjayp Jul 31st, 2013 03:11 PM

Lovely photography Myer! Thanks for sharing.

TravelinVic Aug 2nd, 2013 10:08 AM

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to post info!