Short and Sweet in Victoria: trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of four stayed in Victoria for only one night as a stop-over between Tofino and Orcas Island.

HOTEL:
Because my husband and son are avid golfers, we stayed at the Westin Bear Mountain Resort, which is a 30 minute drive into downtown Victoria. It is undergoing a lot of construction, but we really didn’t hear it much. Our suite was lovely with a big balcony and beautiful view. My husband has played at a lot of fantastic courses throughout the country and thought that this course was one of the best he’s played. They played two rounds and just raved and raved about it.

WHAT THE NON-GOLFERS DID…
DAY 1: TEA AND SHOPPING
My daughter and I enjoyed the pool the first day, and then went into Victoria for tea at the Empress. Yes, this was quite pricey, but a really special, elegant mother-daughter experience. We loved it. (We had made a reservation 2 months in advance.)

We also strolled and shopped along Government Street and had a nice time. The inner harbor area is really lovely.

DAY 2: BUTCHART GARDENS
My daughter wanted to sleep in, and I was worried about the crowds at Butchart Gardens that I kept reading about, so I decided to go by myself.
WOW!
Everything people say about this place is true. Every flower bed seems to be a work of art. I loved it.
AND… I arrived at 8:55, was the first to walk in the place at 9am, and basically had the place all to myself! It was amazing! There was no one really there that early. (this was a Tuesday in mid-July)
I walked the entire garden and was done before 11am. I even had a cappuccino in the Italian garden. So lovely…
Don’t miss this place!

And that’s about it….
The four of us met up for lunch by the pool, took a swim, and were out the door by 4 to get to our 6:00 ferry to the San Juans.

AWORD ABOUT THE FERRIES…
Everything I read about the ferry system during the summer suggested that you better get there really early or your basically in trouble. Even our concierge in Victoria said we should arrive at least 2 hours ahead at the ferry in Sidney, since we also had to go through customs.
So we arrived at 4pm for the 6pm ferry to San Juan Island (no direct ride to Orcas), and there was no one there. No cars. We asked the guy there how early we should line up and he suggested coming back at 5:15.
We arrived back at 5:15 and this time there were only 7 cars there! Is this weird or what??? Yes, it was a week day, but this was mid-July!!

We got to San Juan at 7:15, and asked what time we should line up for the 10pm ferry to Orcas. We were told to come back at 9:45! Great for us…
I’ll do a separate little report on our fun few hours on San Juan Island and our 3 nights on Orcas
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:53 AM

I think it is weird this year. The ferries don't seem to filling up the way they used to. I don't know if it's that (BC) ferry rates are too high, and they're not as reliable as they used to be or that US tourists aren't crossing the border. I think the dollar exchange rate and passport issues have greatly affected tourism.

I'm looking forward to your San Juan report.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Yes, that might be true. Even getting a passport is expensive if you don't already have one!
Either that, or i figured there was a big difference between weekend and weekday travel.

Thanks, April, for all your great tips and advice before my trip!

Regarding the ferry system:
I was still so glad i got reservations and conservative advice! Better early than sorry!

dina
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 04:07 AM

dina4
Have you posted the San Juan and Orcas Island part of your trip?
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 04:29 AM

It was called

Trip Report: Family Fun in Tofino
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

actually, the one above is just about Tofino. I have yet to write about Orcas and San Juan. I promise to do so soon. I've been really busy. sorry.

dina