Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Shopping with teens in Toronto (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/shopping-with-teens-in-toronto-217053/)

Sonya May 8th, 2002 06:57 AM

Shopping with teens in Toronto

Will be traveling with teens, ages 12-16, boy and girls and need some shopping tips for Toronto. Have a visit planned to Eaton Centre but need some other suggestions, too.<BR>Is there a street market where designer knockoffs are sold? Would Sunday morning be a good time to go to the street market, if there is one of this type? Also how about some store suggestions. In the US they like<BR>Abercrombie, Express and Bebe. Is there a store like Monoprix or Target with trendy stuff at good prices? We don't have an endless supply of time so if there are some<BR>shopping ideas in the downtown area and particularly Eaton Centre I will appeciate the inside information. Thank you. Sonya

LJ May 8th, 2002 09:12 AM

Toronto is a great shopping city for young and old. I don't know of a street market such as you describe,but you might try Kensington Market for truly interesting second-hand stuff especially Courage My Love (my daughters favourite). <BR><BR>But in addition to the Eaton Centre which has all the biggies like Roots, I would suggest two areas: <BR><BR>The first, Yorkville, (Avenue Road and Bloor) will also appeal to Mom being very high-end and glamourous, but with a few more cutting edge places like LUSH (for toiletries). <BR><BR>Best of all for your kids ages might be Queen St West...all the trendiest teen stuff and a couple of great cafes for you to rest between rounds (been there , done that!) Check out Le Select Bistro, when you've had enough even if they haven't.

Susan May 8th, 2002 11:30 AM

My niece liked Queen Street West when she visited me. She wanted to see Much Music, and then we wandered through a whole pile of stores in that stretch of Queen Street. Le Select is nice for lunch, also like Rivoli (I think that may be where we took her). Bamboo is also kind of cool for lunch if the patio is open.

Sonya May 8th, 2002 12:06 PM

Thanks so much for the useful information. We were introduced to Lush in London and can't wait to visit their shop on Queen St. Does anyone know if Lush still has a shop at the airport and if it is in Terminal 3? Also, will most of the Queen St. stores be open on Sunday afternoon?

Anne May 8th, 2002 01:36 PM

Yes, most shops in Toronto are open until 5:00 or 6:00 on a Sunday. Two of my favourite shops in the world are on Queen West : El Mundo Desino (I think that's how you spell it -- I always refer to it as El Mundo) and La Cache. There's a comic book store the teens will like, and a couple of amazing shops, Fashion Crimes (for women, on the south side) and Misdemeanours (for girls, on the north side) that are totally fantasy/sequins/feathers fabulous. There are also a good number of sidewalk stalls with jewellery, several great places to eat (my kids love the Queen Mother Cafe, I lean towards Tiger Lily's) and lots more. Have fun!

Anne May 8th, 2002 01:38 PM

Forgot -- for trendy, there's Le Chateau, Roots, Club Monaco and a bunch more. Bedo is pretty cool for a 12-year-old, but the quality is inferior.

Susan May 9th, 2002 03:41 PM

Topping. Does anyone know if there are any good shops at the airport, especially in terminal 3.