Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shopping with teenagers in Toronto....where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:25 AM
p.young

My teenage daughter and I will be in Toronto next week staying at the Westin Harbor Castle for I.D. dancing championships. The highlight of our trips usually ends up doing some clothes shopping (I like antiques). Any areas either within walking distance of hotel or easy access from public transportation?

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 10:09 AM
Susan

I took my teenage niece along Queen Street West when she visited Toronto. She was also interested in seeing where Much Music originated and it's there as well. It's not that far from your hotel - start at University Avenue and Queen (which is the Osgoode subway station) and walk head west. There are also a lot of restaurants in that area so you could stop for a nice meal. <BR> <BR>You'll also be close to the Eatons Centre. It's on the Yonge Street subway line between Queen and Dundas stations. Loads of stores in there and all price ranges.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 08:49 PM
BrianKilgore

Since clothes are already taken care of, I'll mention there's a big antigues market at the west end of the harbourfront area, maybe a five-seven minute walk directly west of your hotel, along Queen's Quay (which is where your hotel is) <BR>From the antigues market you can walk straight north 9away from the lake, and four or five minutes later be on Queen Street West. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 06:54 AM
Kim

Also if you daughter is into bath products (such as Bath and Body Works) be sure to check out Lush- great, fresh bath products. I think it's on Queen St. but I am not sure.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 09:54 AM
Suzanne

Patty, get yourselves up to Bloor St/Yorkville! Take 'University Line' subway north from Union Station. Get off @ Museum stop.( This is just South of Bloor/Avenue Rd.). Walk North, turn right (East) on Bloor &amp; roam!!! Your daughter will love it &amp; so will you! Go to Bellair St.(sp?) &amp; sit on one of the outdoor cafe patios for lunch. <BR><BR>You cld. tie this in w/ the Queen St. West spree mentioned by another poster. If it were me, I wld. be inclined to go up to Bloor late morning/early afternoon. Shop &amp; have lunch there. More shopping. Then head South on the University subway line. Get off @ Queen St. West. Then walk West ( or hop on a streetcar if you are too tired from all that shopping!).Go to Le Select Bistro for dinner!!! You may want to take a taxi back to Westin Harbor Castle b/c you will have all you shopping bags! <BR>Have fun &amp; good luck in the ID competition!

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 12:30 PM
Gary

For a real hoot go to Honest Eds. Besides the fact that the prices on most things are low, low, low the Honest Ed experiance is really fun. And, as one of the myriad signs tell you 'Don't just stand there - buy something!'

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Bonnie

The place a lot of teenagers are heading to, and adults,too, is Old Navy. I'm not sure of the closest location to where you are staying, but I'm sure someone here knows or you can have the hotel check. You might also want to check out the Winners on Spadina<BR>for really well-priced clothes and accessories. Definitely Eaton Centre has every store that your daughter would like.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 07:02 PM
judi hartlin

I was just in Philly and went to a store called Urban Outfitters. I know TO has one and I think it is on Yonge St. Very cool - very trendy and has everything from the latest styles in clothing to unusual gifts (I bought an electronic fortune cookie!)to very funky housewares and furniture. You will both enjoy this store!