Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   shopping in Toronto (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/shopping-in-toronto-714006/)

Lynneb Jun 18th, 2007 06:51 AM

shopping in Toronto

I have one day for shopping in Toronto. I've visited before and went to the Eaton Centre and wandered around some of the other shopping areas. Is it worth heading out to the Yorkdale Mall? Is it better than the Eaton Centre. (I will have to use public transport).

Meesthare Jun 18th, 2007 08:46 AM

Sort of a difficult question to answer; I guess it depends on what you're looking for. We used to live in Toronto, and when we went back for a visit a few months ago we decided to check out Yorkdale since neither of us had been there in quite some time. We found it to be far more upscale than it used to be, and didn't enjoy it very much. It's a lot bigger than the Eaton Centre and for us, the greater size didn't really offer greater quality or variety. I would think that the Bloor-Yorkville area would be more interesting for visitors, especially if getting to Yorkdale will require a lengthy trip on the subway.

LJ Jun 18th, 2007 09:43 AM

The Yorkdale Mall and the Eaton Centre are similar enough that I wouldn't bother doing both-yes, to the Yorkville-Bloor St experience and if you are into contemporary funky, designer stuff, think about adding Queen St West. All are available right on the subway line with short walks after exiting. Eaton Centre is Dundas or Queen stations. Yorkville/Bloor is Bay staion and Queen St is a street car ride from the south exit of the Eaton Centre. Have fun!

BAK Jun 18th, 2007 10:34 AM

Does it matter what you want to buy?

Cameras? Model trains? Bolts of fabrics? Inuit Art? A Mac computer or iPod driectly from an Apple Store?

For the most part, Yorkdale and Eaton Centre are pretty much equal.

Budget level?

BAK

Ginto Jun 18th, 2007 03:11 PM

For mall shopping with a twist, try the Pacific Mall at Kennedy & Steeles. This is a big Chinese mall (looks like an airport hangar) and has some of Toronto's more interesting Asian shopping.

kodi Jun 18th, 2007 04:35 PM

Malls are malls are malls.. all pretty much the same, but have to agree, Yorkdale is more upscale.
ThePacific Mall sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

But I do agree with wandering around Bloor Yorkville area. Beautiful, very exclusive shops there. Fun to daydream. I tried on a cute leather belt in one shop there. ...no price tag.. and I was mentally deciding how much I'd be willing to spend. When the salesgirl was free, I asked the price. IT was something like $300. You have never seen anyone take a belt off so fast!!

IF you are looking for more in the lines of bargain shopping, let us know.

Lynneb Jun 19th, 2007 12:31 AM

I guess I'm just looking for regular shops like Gap, Banana Republic so it sounds like I may as well stick with the Eaton Centre and save the journey. I'll also take a look at the Bloor-Yorkville area. Thanks

hdm Jun 19th, 2007 03:52 AM

If it's just generally shopping, you might as well stick with the Eaton Centre because you have the benefit of the large Bay department store at the south end and it's got a couple of good fashion floors. Yes, Yorkdale's gotten bigger, but all the mall stores are pretty much the same.

SallyCanuck Jun 19th, 2007 11:59 AM

The stores are Yorkdale are bigger though and there are more of them including some that aren't at the Eaton Centre. The subway stop exits right into the mall.

Lynneb Jun 20th, 2007 04:17 AM

Can anyone tell me how long the subway ride is from Union to Yorkdale?

hdm Jun 20th, 2007 05:00 AM

Just a guess on my part, but I'd say about half an hour.

kodi Jun 20th, 2007 05:20 PM

I'm guessing too, it's been a long time since I took the subway. But I agree with hdm. I don't think it will take any longer than 30 minutes.
It's a staight forward ride and the Yorkdale station is right at the mall. SO if you do want to see Yorkdale, it is a nice mall and would be so easy to get to.

kate12 Jun 20th, 2007 06:40 PM

It should only take about 20 minutes to ride the subway to Yorkdale from Union station.
Check the subway map. I believe it you come up the university line you might not have to transfer.

lianeaurora Aug 4th, 2014 03:08 PM

Don't do the eaton centre it's the same as all malls in the US. Do Queen street west and Queen west west or there's also the beaches which is Queen street east. Queen west offer's everything from fine(non acrylic)beautiful yarn(Americo) to glow in the dark condoms at the Condom shack! There's also the Much Music studio's down there and so many cool patio's and places to eat. There's even the hip Drake hotel that you could stay at. In the beach there's lovely shops and patio's and the boardwalk by the lake to wander along with a gelato. Yorkville is okay but pretentious and out of my league. Queen street is hip and artsy. I know this about 7 years late but couldn't resist.