Montreal for the non-adventurous?

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Beth

Montreal for the non-adventurous?

My parents, from Iowa and who have never been out of the US, have a conference in Montreal next July. I think they should go because it would give them a taste of Europe without going to Europe. However, I had a co-worker tell me that with the migration of companies out of Montreal and into Toronto that Montreal was nice for about two blocks in the heart of the city but like Tijuana outside of those two blocks. If this is the case, I don't think my parents would be comfortable going to Montreal. Can someone give me some advice on traveling to Montreal for the non-adventurous? I travel all over the world for work and pleasure and speak a little French and could join them for the beginning of their trip if I get some good feedback on the current "personality" of Montreal. Thanks! Beth

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Brian Kilgore

Your coworker is an idiot, and should not be telling stories based on ignorance.

Assuming your parents are not completely without a sense of semi-adventure, they can have a good time, see some things they have never seen before, and not be uncomfortable.

The Old Montreal area has lots of hsitory, good restaurants where the menus are in English as well as French, and waiters who speak English just fine.

There are several art galleries and museums, and once again the brochures, descriptions, etc. are in both languages. And cab drivers understand English well enough to get your parents wherever they want to go.

If you can join them in Montreal for the first few days, you will not be needed as a comfort, but you'll have a good time, too.

They can try new and interesting food, or they can stick with old favorites. You can buy chicken and steak and hamburgers, and since they are from Iowa probably won't be looking for grits anyway. Tehre's good roast beef and good fish and lots of other food there. It's what I like, and I lived in Montreal for a couple of years, for several days a week.

Thgere's a COSTCO close to downtown, and many fo the hotels have familiar world-wide names, like Sheraton and Marriott and Holiday Inn.

But on the other hand, they can try crepes, and they can try Montreal Smoked meat sandwiches, and they can try lobster and oysters and find great salmon and other fish.

Back in their hotel, they can get all the US tv networks, so they won't feel too far from home, and then they can watch some Candian TV and try to figure out the French, or watch the English channels.

The conference, I gather, will take up most of their time, but they'll find shopping very interesting, too. Bring a calculator and figure out where the bargains are in relation to exchange rates.

St. CAtherines Street has lots of nice stores; Sherbrooke has museums and fancier stores. They can take a local bus tour, and if they are good walkers, can hike up to the top of Mount Royal, or just take a cab up and walk back down.

It's hard to imagine a grownup or a kid who would not have a good time in Montreal, without being frightened or nervous.

They'll be surrounded by thousands of good natured people on the streets downtown in the evening, too. It's a city where people like to live.

BAK

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Beth

BAK - Thanks for the response. I read on Roughguides that Montreal has undergone some great renovation recently - but it never hurts to ask. Actually my parents are quite adventurous when it comes to food but they've never been any place where language and currency could be a barrier and I always get great, honest advice from this board. I would love to join them because I haven't been to Paris since 1993 and would enjoy some French history and food. Thanks again!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Iowa Tom

Beth, My wife and I live in Iowa and we are going to Montreal for the third year in a row. We are in our 50's and find Montreal a wonderful city. We mostly go for the international fireworks competitions at LaRonde but find the entire city easy to get around to with the Metro and buses. They should consider extending their stay a few days to enjoy Montreal.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Montrealer

Beth, how old are your parents? If they are going to a conference, they can't be that old! I am sure that whoever is organizing the conference has planned for some group activities.

I have lived here all my life. It is a great city. Everyone loves it. This is the first time I have heard it compared to Tihuana.(sp?). I can't even imagine what that means!

I don't think our currency will be a problem to your parents. They will just know that everything is cheaper! As far as language is concerned, wherever they go as tourists, they'll get by with English.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:13 AM
xxx

I would find it a lot easier to compare many American cities to tijuana rather than Montreal. Also, the comment that you want to go to MTL to see Europe. Give me a break! What is Montreal, Europe for dummies? You want to go to Europe, so go. Don't go anywhere in North America. Montreal is one of the most interesting, exciting, lively and joyful cities in North America, so I find it hard to accept the term "Montreal is European"

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Ezway

Since they are from Iowa, I suspect they would not be open to anything thats different from their little farm town.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Louis

Beth;
Your co-worker has either obviously never been to Montreal or is bad mouthing Montreal for political reasons. There are indeed a lot of frustrated anglos out there who love to put Montreal and Quebec down. They can't seem to be able to admit that Montreal is doing very well even if anglos have left in droves since the mid 1970s.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:04 PM
kc

Beth,I live in NYC and have traveled some and I must say that there is absolutely NO truth in comparing Montreal to any Mexican city,let alone Tijuana,which by the way I have been to also, and think your co-worker needs to take a trip of his/her own!
Montreal might be compared to San Francisco,if one needs to imagine a familiar US city,hills,water,lovely,old homes,buildings,ballet,museums,good food,good shopping.
We go every year,for about a week or so,it is such a great mix of French and English,so that I feel like I am in a French country that I can understand!
The people are very friendly and cheerful,I love the good natured atmosphere.
There are some really good colleges in Montreal,so in the fall you will see students with their parents,getting them settled.
Last fall when we were there, we ran into neighbors, they are both in their late 60's,she is deaf.They were sightseeing, walking to the Museum of Fine Arts when we met them on the sidewalk.They loved it there and were already planning when they would be coming back.
Your parents will love Montreal!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Beth

Thanks for the great input - I sent the emails to my parents and I think I convinced them that their worries about everyone speaking French and not helping them have been minimized. And I am also interested in joining them on the beginning of their trip - I'm always looking for a good excuse to travel to a new city or country!

By the way, in defense of my co-worker, he is from San Diego and travelled to Montreal five years ago for his 10th wedding anniversary. He liked the trip but was just surprised at all the vacant and rundown buildings just a few blocks off the downtown area and recommended Quebec City and other areas instead. But I can tell from the postings that things have changed in 5 years - which is why I asked. Thanks again! Beth

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 05:44 AM
zootsi

Montreal is a very safe and fun city, we visit there several times a year. In all fairness however, there is an area of a few blocks on St. Catherine St. near St. Laurent that is somewhat seedy, with some sex shops, strip clubs, etc. However, even this area is not really that bad, we walk thru it all the time while going from the downtown to the St. Laurent-St. Denis (the most 'Paris' part of the city) neighborhoods, or down to Chinatown, which is also quite nice.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Daniel Williams

Certainly there were vacant buildings 5 years ago not far from downtown; there still are some. BUT "nice for about two blocks of the city but like Tijuana outside those two blocks"...not at all, nothing like that, not even 5 or 10 years ago. You should not be defending your coworker as he apparently formed his opinion quickly based on a cursory glance, an opinion which will ring utterly false to anyone who knows Montreal well. True, things have changed somewhat, a certain extent of yuppifying, with all the pros and cons that go with that...but it was a great city 5-10 years ago and still is now.

I hope your parents have a great time!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:20 AM
ILOVEMONTREAL

I think you friend just did not have a good time and therefore he saw Montreal with a bad attitude.
Every town has a "seedy" area, Montreals is better than most!
And there is SO much more that is great that for him to only remember the bad is most likely coming from "him" rather than Montreal.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Mart

I'm from Montreal and i've visited Tijuana, Montreal ain't no Tijuana!! Montreal is a great city, we have great restaurants, shopping, old Montreal is simply beautiful and it's safe! Your parents will love it!