Search

Seattle to Victoria "the easy way"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle to Victoria "the easy way"

Hi
Flying into Seattle 1st week Sept. After reading post totally confused at getting to Victoria the easy way to spend a few days. (and possible the time required)
We are very a very active middle age couple so I wondering what activities might be of interest and thing to do there . Is 3-4 days too much time there.? I have no idea what Victoria is like. Weather temp in Sept.?
Reading post it appears you do not need a car. yes/no.
From Florida
Thanks , DIVER
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 01:16 PM

The "easiest" way is probably the high speed ferry from Seattle. Next, IMO, if you do take a car, drive to Port Angeles and take the ferry from there.
I think Victoria is very interesting, but I don't think an active couple would find enough to do there for 3+ days without a car that would allow you to get other places on Vancouver Island.
A couple of nice museums, Buchart Gardens and waterfront are top activies. Nice parks. But I prefer exploring the outer areas of the island.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM

check out Vancouver (the city) too, if you are an active couple. You could rent bikes and bike around Stanley Park. Victoria is nice for the middle-aged ladies that frequent the Fodors forums, but a bit boring for 3-4 days, not a lot to fill your days with. You could see the main harbor, museums, and Buchart Gardens in one day. Vancouver, on the other hand, is very cosmopolitan and has a lot to offer.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Another "easy" way to get there is by float plane - although it is also the most expensive.

Kenmore Air I think is the name- leaves from Lake Union and lands in the Harbor in downtown Victoria.
Since you say you are active you might enjoy riding bikes - there is a trail called the Galloping Goose- its paved - one of those Rails to Trails projects-
You will enjoy the experience more with a rented car and get out of town - Sooke is a nice spot.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 07:09 PM

I wouldn't really pay attention to replies by people who are not familiar with Victoria.
Check out this website
http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/SightsA...FQmjiQodN29UVA
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Fly into Victoria by whatever works, you can then explore some of the area cycling/hiking trails, also some great kayaking in the area.

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/lochside/index.htm

http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com/

http://www.juandefucamarinetrail.com/
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

HI and Thanks for the info and suggestions. I still have a couple question. I understand there is a passenger only Victoria Clipper and also the Port Angelos ferry with either pass or auto. Would probally rent auto in Victoria as I checked the Vic Clipper for 2 and auto almost $180 r/t FROM Seattle. Any idea of time and cost to either ferry terminal from Seattle airport. I must admit I thinking about changing my plans (but not yet) because of the time and transportation cost just to get to Victoria. Sooke, how far and what it's like. Tofino (from reading post) sounds more like my place but I can't spend the time to get there or I'l be traveling my whole trip.....
Thanks again.......DIVER
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM

I don't understand exactly your question. The Victoria Clipper from Seattle is your best bet. To get the car ferry "Coho" you would have to rent a car in Seattle and drive a couple of hours to Port Angeles and the return fare would be close to $150 for two.

Because of you limite time you don't want to go to Tofino - as you said you would spend all of your time driving. I think as I suggested and Sam Salmon just stick to the activities in the websites we gave you. You would need several days to do Tofino properly. Tofino itself is nothing special as a town its the area that is gorgeous. So just come back another time when you can take the time to travel the Island. Unless you decide to rent a car I wouldn't worry about going to Sooke. You can really spend all of the time in the Victoria area - rent bikes, Kayak etc etc and the Royal BC Museum is world class and worth several hours.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Again......and Thank you.......I believe I have it, just was a little confused and couldn't get it through my thick head about transportation getting to Victoria from the airport. When looking at a map it just seemed so close and (it had to be) easy to get there. Will skip the car in essence of time and take the Victoria Clipper. Your advise and recommendation are appreciated.
Regards........DIVER
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 04:19 PM

Glad I could help. Once you get here you will definitely want to come back and spend some time in Tofino (Long Beach) and other areas of the Island. Its a beautiful place. We spend winters in Arizona and I don't think I've met anyone who doesn't tell us how lucky we are to live here. You asked about weather. I don't think anyone has answered that. September is probably the best month here - especially early Sept. Also, you mentioned first week of September. Labour day is the 6th and can be extremely busy so if you are traveling on that day (or the Friday before) be sure to have your reservations well ahead.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi Again.....Weather, yes, haven't seen any post on weather going back over a hundred of them...I remember being in Bozeman Montana the first week of Sept and it snowed and have experienced the uncertainly of Northern Calif Coast so any idea of what it might be like would be appreciated. Since haven't yet sounds like maybe the 2nd week of Sept would be a better time.
Thanks.....DIVER
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Of course there are no guarantees but September weather is probably mid to high 60's. Also there is less chance of rain. You won't have to worry about snow here and certainly not in September. The second week of September is a good time - the labour day weekend is always busy as its the last break for the kids going back to school etc. So - no heavy coats - sweater with a light windbreaker is all you will need.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi Traveller69. Thanks you and others again for all the assistance. You make traveling easier. This site has always been a favorite and I try to do my part to participate.
Have a great weekend.
DIVER
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 11:38 AM

If 'very active' means that you're into cycling, then I have an original idea. Cycling between Seattle and Victoria and staying with local hosts. 'Vrienden op de Fiets' is a Dutch association with nearly 4000 participating (= hosting) families. And for unclear reasons, there's a strong concentration of hosts in the northwestern corner of Washington and the southern point of Vancouver Island. Prices are cyclist friendly.
http://maps.google.be/maps/ms?hl=nl&...614014&t=h&z=8 shows a map with the hosts in the US and Canada.
http://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl is the official site with a summary in English of what it's all about.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 08:15 PM

September is one of my favorite months here, it is not too hot and usually dry. Biking is the best in September. And dont worry about running out of things to do in Victoria, you will have plenty of things to fill your days. It is not boring at all.......
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 07:21 AM

Just back from this same trip, although we spent some time in Seattle, wonderful and lots to do. But that's another post. Victoria Clipper was good, easy trip and very well run. Make sure to check the web prices, much lower and times of day matter. We took the 7:30 am ferry over, 7 pm return. We also booked the 5 Star Whale Watching trip through them. Total of ferry and whale trip was $299. We didn't have much time in Victoria, but not a lot of outdoor stuff near town so that was fine. We walked through the Parlament building and through the Fairmont, loved those. TONS of flowers everywhere, that was great. Ate at Canoe, only OK. Off to whale watching at 2, FANTASTIC afternoon. We saw 20-30 whales, very active jumping and playing, so worth the time and $$. Good folks run it, very experienced and knowledgeable, and you can see the pics they take online within a couple of days and you can copy them for FREE as long as they are just for you. I'd highly recommend that, but dress for very chilly weather, it was only in the 50's out on the water and a cold wind. Cabin was nice and warm, though. We ate on the pier at a little carry out called Red Fish, Blue Fish, wonderful halibut in their fish and chips. They have little stools all around the dock for seating. Just don't leave any food sitting around, the seagulls are watching every bite!