Seattle to Victoria - Day Trip

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 10:14 AM
Meg

Seattle to Victoria - Day Trip

In early October, we will be in Seattle and plan to take the ferry to Victoria. From my estimates, we'll have about 7 hours in Victoria. What should we do while we're there? I've read a little about a castle - anybody know anything about it? I'm also looking for a good Thai restaurant, but will take suggestions on any favorite places. All info appreciated. Thanks.

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 06:41 PM
bill

Meg, My wife and I just returned from a week at Sooke Harbor which is 26 miles north of Victoria.We visited Victoria several times while we were there and spent many hours in the inner harbor.You will be able to spend all seven hours walking around eating, drinking and just general siteseeing in the inner harbor. A lot of fun and many things to see. I am not too sure about a Thai restaurant but there are a ton of places to eat and drink around that area that are in walking distance. Have fun

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 10:09 AM
Meg

Bill, thanks for the response. Do you know anything about the castle?

Old Sep 22nd, 1998, 04:46 PM
Kat

You're probably referring to Craigdarroch Castle in Victoria. Built by a rich coal baron in 1887-1890, it is a museum today. Visitors tour rooms with stained glass windows and fine woodwork. It's 87 stairs up the fifth floor tower overlooking downtown. The address is 1050 Joan Crescent off Fort St., phone 592-5323.

For goodness sake, don't miss BUTCHART GARDENS if you go to Victoria. Splendidly superb any time of the year!

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 01:31 PM
Meg

Thanks for the info.

Old Oct 4th, 1998, 11:04 AM
B.A.Kilgore

Last week a major exhibit on Leonardo da Vinci opened in Victoria. This shoudl occupy a few hours ofyour time. There's an excellent museum, and the harbor is right downtown, and an intrting place towatch some boats. For a treat, look for the Roger's Chocolate candy store, which is right downtown.

BAK

Old Oct 4th, 1998, 11:07 AM
B.A.Kilgore

Last week a major exhibit on Leonardo da Vinci opened in Victoria. This should occupy a few hours of your time. There's an excellent museum, and the harbor is right downtown, and an interesting place to watch some boats. For a treat, look for the Roger's Chocolate candy store, which is right downtown.

BAK

Old Oct 5th, 1998, 04:19 AM
cedar

I don't want to be negative, but prepare for a touisty city. The gardens are ok if you enjoy flowers and landscaping, but they are expensive and usually very crowded. You will probably discover that the boat ride thru the islands will be the highlight of the trip!